Why 0.5-Liter Cylinders Will Soon Dominate Automotive-Engine

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

redrocco

Re: Why 0.5-Liter Cylinders Will Soon Dominate Automotive-Engine

Post by redrocco »

I have been a big fan of .5L of less per cylinder all aluminum V motors for years. I was one of the early people to start doing performance builds and swaps using the Toyoda 4L 1UZ-FE V8. I have a 1uz swapped into my 1987 supra mated to the stock Supra R154 5 speed transmission and fitted with a twin screw whipple supercharger. I had to design the flywheel and machine the supercharger manifold myself. The 1UZ will be getting swapped into my 1989 supra so I can swap in the Toyoda 5L 1GZ-FE V12 that I have been working on. I have been running the V8 for 9 years now and love it. I replaced the 14 MPG, 600+ pound 3L cast iron straight 6 with a 400 pound V8 that has around 70 HP and 100 FT LBS more power and gets almost 24 MPG NA and 17 MPG with the supercharger. I now also has the great V8 sound thanks to 2.5" straight piped dual exhaust with just a pair of cherry bomb glass packs. The higher redline that you normally get with a smaller piston engine is also a plus, my 1UZ makes good useable power from 1000 RPM to around 7500 RPM and I have the redline limit set to 8500 RPM but others have taken this engine to over 10,000+ RPM with the proper work.
Attachments
1UZ-fe Supra
1UZ-fe Supra
Magicniner

Re: Why 0.5-Liter Cylinders Will Soon Dominate Automotive-Engine

Post by Magicniner »

spro wrote: When the coolant breaks down electrolysis goes up.
Which is why you must maintain the correct anti-freeze (as recommended by the anti-freeze manufacturer, not the car manufacturer) concentration (with it's corrosion inhibitors) and change coolant at the recommended intervals. I use Bluecol at 50/50 and have never had corrosion problems.