Powerhouse gears

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

coomba

Powerhouse gears

Post by coomba »

Recently I purchased the plans to J E Howell's, Powerhouse, internal combustion engine. This will be the first model engine I have ever made. It was categorized as a, experience level 1, but some parts for sure will be a challenge for me. At this time the only parts I do 'not want to take on are, the two gears, for lack of knowledge and equipment. Is there any source that I may be able to purchase these two gears? Thank You gentlemen for any input!
hammermill

Re: Powerhouse gears

Post by hammermill »

not sure where you are. learning to cut gears is a skill that will prove useful and in some ways amaze your friends.

several books exist on the subject. for the hobbyist the brits have a few good books on the subject.

here is one text cheep used

http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Gear-Cuttin ... ear+making
coomba

Post by coomba »

hammermill wrote:not sure where you are. learning to cut gears is a skill that will prove useful and in some ways amaze your friends.

several books exist on the subject. for the hobbyist the brits have a few good books on the subject.

here is one text cheep used

http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Gear-Cuttin ... ear+making
I'm sure your right, but I'm not to that point yet.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Welcome coomba to chaski, enjoy your stay. Tell us a little about yourself such as your approximate location on this planet. This can be done in your profile. Again, welcome.

Jack.
coomba

Post by coomba »

Really! Everyone makes their own gears?
JackF

Post by JackF »

Boston Gear has stores in many areas and I believe you can order from them using their Ordernet site. Google "Boston Gear" and work from there.

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Both Boston Gear and Browning sell gears. You might also investigate PIC Design.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

I should have said Boston Gear has distributors in many areas. Check their site for one in your area. :D

Jack.
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

What are the specs for the gears? Maybe someone here will make them for you...

Chuck
coomba

Post by coomba »

What should I expect to pay, for gear of this nature.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

coomba wrote:What should I expect to pay, for gear of this nature.
Hard to say when the vast majority of readers don't know any of the particulars. If you can provide the specs, could be an answer will be forthcoming.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
gbritnell

Post by gbritnell »

If I'm not mistaken Jerry Howell's business sells the gears but if not then a good place to go is Stock Drive Products out of New York. They have a huge selection of miniature components, gears, pulleys, couplings etc.
gbritnell