camshaft layout

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Chlluk

camshaft layout

Post by Chlluk »

Hi
I'm currently reworking the Westbury sea lion, i'm taking it up to 6 cyl. I need help with the camshaft layout. The crank will be the normal 120 deg phasing and sequence should be 153624 which I believe is normal. The 4 cyl cam has lobe pairs at 90 deg spacing 1 and 4 set at 180 apart and 2,3 at 90 deg intervals to 1 and 4.
I am aware that an inline 6 will have cam lobes at 60 deg spacing but its the order in can't seem to think out.
if anyone can help by describing what the cam lobe groups setting should be starting at lobe pair 1 with inlet cam set at 0 deg this would help a lot.
Regards
Clive
UK
ken572

Re: camshaft layout

Post by ken572 »

Chlluk wrote:Hi
I'm currently reworking the Westbury sea lion, i'm taking it up to 6 cyl. I need help with the camshaft layout. The crank will be the normal 120 deg phasing and sequence should be 153624 which I believe is normal. The 4 cyl cam has lobe pairs at 90 deg spacing 1 and 4 set at 180 apart and 2,3 at 90 deg intervals to 1 and 4.
I am aware that an inline 6 will have cam lobes at 60 deg spacing but its the order in can't seem to think out.
if anyone can help by describing what the cam lobe groups setting should be starting at lobe pair 1 with inlet cam set at 0 deg this would help a lot.
Regards
Clive
UK
Hello :!: Chlluk :D

Welcome to The Home Machinist! 8)
-
Camshaft Design Theory and Layout Tutors, Information, Etc.
-
Tilden Technologies, LLC (Very Informative)
http://www.tildentechnologies.com/index.html
-
Understanding Camshafts
http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Ba ... nding.html
-
Ron's Model Engineering and Model IC Engine Projects
http://modelenginenews.org/
(Left Side Search This Site - Box) (Type: Camshaft Layout)
(GREAT INFORMATION)
-
Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/ ... aft+Design
NOTE: First and Last Books Seem the best and NOT CHEAP
-
As you have found out, we have members
that really enjoy helping each other, and
sharing there skill’s and or knowledge,as
well as there project’s, idea’s, and more.

In order for this to happen smoothly there
are a few things that are NEEDED:

1)Correct brand names of what ever
you are asking and/or talking about.

2)Correct Serial numbers, Model No,
Date, and or Country of Manufacturer,
Size’s, Colors, Clear Picture’s of the item,
and or it’s data plates, and anything else
you can supply for the members to work
with.

3)Do you already have, or need
Operator and Parts, Manual’s :?:

4) Making sure that you put your
WORLDLY LOCATION in your
PROFILE so it show’s up to the left
of all of your POST’S under your name.
VERY HELPFUL, to member’s trying
to assist you.

5) It is always nice to THANK the members
that spend time HELPING YOU and when
your problem is solved, it’s nice to UPDATE
and share your FIX / REMEDY to help the
next member, to read and learn from.

NOTE: CLEAR PICTURE’S
(ARE ALWAYS)
VERY HELPFUL.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
dly31

Re: camshaft layout

Post by dly31 »

Since there haven't been any replies by someone who really knows the answer to your question, I will offer what might be a little help. It seems to me that the camshaft order has to be the same as the crankshaft. If #1 inlet cam is at 0 degrees, #5 should be at 60 degrees, opposite to the direction of rotation. This will make #5 inlet open 60 camshaft degrees (120 crankshaft degrees) later than #1. This is so #5 cylinder will be the next to fire, 120 crankshaft degrees after #1 fires. The other cams follow in firing order sequence at the same angle in the same direction. In 360 camshaft degrees (720 crankshaft degrees) all cylinders will have fired in the 153624 sequence, the most common for a 6 cylinder inline engine. Keep crankshaft and camshaft direction of rotation correct, the same if chain driven or gear driven with one idler and opposite if chain driven without an idler.

Don't take this as absolutely correct, just as help in figuring it out for yourself since I have never made a camshaft but just understand engine operation pretty well. If you figure out that I am all wet, let me know!
Don Young