Panhead rebuild project...

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Patio

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Patio »

Still kicking and working on this project. In fact it is the main focus of my endeavors at the moment. With all that has happened and the discovery of an excessive amount of RTV used on the base gasket, allowing it to migrate down around the cylinder skirts, I am afraid that some of the material could have gotten in the oil system. The help with my fears I installed an oil filter on the bike. I intend to make the lines in SS sometime but right now I need to know the motor works reliably before spending 200 bucks, just for the fitting. So I have make the lines from copper, for now. That meant I also needed to move the electric regulator's location.
I have had nothing but problems with leaking base gaskets, leaking push rod covers, and speedometer cable problems. I still have a problem with the valves on the front head, but I have and idea for the fix. We shall see, soon enough. So just like eating an elephant, I am taking it one bite at a time.
Hear are some pictures of the progress with the oil filter and regulator relocation. The bike got new wiring in the process.
Because of where the regulator is being located, I will not have access to the screw terminals on the Bosch regulator. I bought an Deutsch, 4 pin water proof connector and made a mounting bracket for it and the regulator, so it will fit between the back of the transmission and the rear tire. The Deutsch connector mounts with a dovetail type fitting. I ground an small dovetail cutting out of a old broken end mill. I milled the part on the end of some scrap I had and then cut it off once done. The catch and release tool are made for and old hacksaw blade.
Here are the pictures.
20210221_170201.jpg
20210221_183230.jpg
20210221_183331.jpg
Here it is, installed.
20210405_210439.jpg
The oil filter installed.
20210405_210305.jpg
Head down and pushing forward.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Patio:
That last photo is starting to look like a J. Boderman Steam Locomotive!
RussN
Patio

Post by Patio »

Russ to be put in the same sentence with Boderman is something else. J Boderman does some incredible work, this is not that, but thanks anyway. :)
Latest problem. The last person to do my head work did not leave enough clearance between the valve stem seal the the top valve spring plate. Tore the seal up and oil soaked the system, fouling the valve. I am in the process of putting it back together. Don't know when it will get done, there are so many projects that NEED doing at the moment.
More to come, as I get round to it! :roll:
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!