Panhead rebuild project...

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Patio

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Patio »

Ernie, The oil pump is a shovelhead style pump. Thanks for the pdf of the frame, I may have to make a print of that one and hang it in the shop.

More progress and one issue and a unknown found.

Cam chest full. From left to right. Small gear is the breather rotary valve. Big gear on top is the cam. Small gear on bottom is the pinion on the end of the crankshaft. Next is the distributor drive gear. And last on the right is the generator drive gear.
20160218_192544a.jpg
All the gears removed.
20160218_204128a.jpg
This is the back side of the generator drive gear. It has a small spiral groove cut into it. I don't know for sure what it is for, but I suspect it is to get oil up to the generator gear.
20160218_204201a.jpg
And the problem that I don't know what it is?
The two woodruff keys are from the oil pump. The small broken shaft I found on the bench after pulling the oil pump off, but have not figured out where it goes in the motor yet. If anyone knows I would be interested in your opinion. I am going to meet with a couple of friends tomorrow and will ask them also.
20160218_201806a.jpg
The other issue is, the cam chest cover has some small cracks around a couple of mounting holes. I will have a friend weld them up for me. It is cast al. Then I will massage it back into shape, when he is done.

That's it for tonight, more to come, as it gets done.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Do you have a Harley service manual for the year range of the engine? If no I think I can dig up and send you a PDF version.
I have repaired the cam covers you have for the same reason. The screws are countersunk and I think people over tighten them, eventually the cover cracks. I have the plater strip the chrome first, then open up the cracks for complete penetration. TIG welding is the way to go, 4043 filler or 4943 if you can get it. It's also an opportunity to repair gouges and other gaffs these the old covers often suffer from.
Ernie F.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Ernie, a service manual and parts book came with the bike. Thanks for the offer, I really like the frame pdf. I may print on for the shop wall. :)

More progress. I haven't found anything that looks like it could create a knock yet. I am going to do some test on the fly wheels and take a bunch of measurements. Then I will devise some kind of plan to get it back together. I bag and tag all the parts during the tear down, to make reassembly easier. We will see how it goes.

Hear are the pictures from tonight's progress.

Unbolt the right side case. Press the left side case, off of the flywheels.
20160219_172635a.jpg
20160219_195044a.jpg
Flywheels in the lathe for some measurements, before dis-assembly.
20160219_194956a.jpg
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Well maybe it's a good thing you don't see anything obvious (read destroyed) and it ends up maybe bringing all the clearances back into spec. like the roller bearings/races, wrist pins/bushings, piston to cylinder fit, etc.
Ernie F.
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

Patio wrote: And the problem that I don't know what it is?
The two woodruff keys are from the oil pump. The small broken shaft I found on the bench after pulling the oil pump off, but have not figured out where it goes in the motor yet. If anyone knows I would be interested in your opinion. I am going to meet with a couple of friends tomorrow and will ask them also.
The attachment 20160218_201806a.jpg is no longer available
I think that broken shaft is for the idler gears. No. 25 in the exploded (excuse the word) view.
Attachments
P3-21.jpg
Ernie F.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Ernie, the broken shaft is much smaller than the idler shaft in the oil pump. It is more the size of a locating pin used in case covers. I have not measured it, but is seems to be about .125" diameter by ..375 long. I am also not certain it belongs in the motor in the first place.

Pat
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

l missed the scale on that, looking at them next to the keys I see what you mean. I hate when things like that show up, almost as bad as launching an unforeseen spring across the shop never to be seen again!
Ernie F.
Tom - AMS

Post by Tom - AMS »

maybe take a count of all the main bearing rollers? ... or it could be a rod bearing roller ( although, those were 0.1875+ dia. IIRC)
if all are present, it's possibly one left in the cam chest from an earlier failure/repair? or maybe a lifter roller axle from a prior failure?
respects.
Tom - AMSMotoMachine
JackF

Post by JackF »

Any updates Pat on the origin of that "pin"?

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Update on project...

Tom, other people I have talked to, also think that it could be a lifter's, roller bearing. And also believe because none the lifter's are missing any rollers, that it came from a previous repair.

I am hoping to be able to ride this bike this summer and have been spending some time lately, figuring out how I want to go about the motor rebuilding process. Do I think I could do it? Yes! Do I want to do it? Well....
I have just completed the rebuild of a 1974 Harley Davidson Sportster. That took 3 years, with no guarantee of success, even though the project turned out fine. I would have to make some of the tooling to complete the job, and that would take quite a bit of time. This is a 1962 Harley Davidson FLH Panhead, worth considerably more than the Sportster. I intend to keep this bike for quite some time, with the thought of putting a sidecar on it, someday. I am less than 10 years from retirement, so if I get it done properly now, it should last me as long as I would ever own it. Therefore I think it is in mine and the bike's best interest, that I have the motor assembly, done by someone with more experience and tooling. I am going to have a guy, who I have heard about before, and who I had the chance of meeting last year, do the motor assembly part of the project. We have figured out a process for the engine rebuild and what parts I need to repair
It will get new flywheels, main bearing, and rods. I will be sending the rod/bearing assembly, along with the pinion and sprocket shafts, to Truett and Osborn Cycle, for them to install in a set of their flywheels, that they will dynamically balance before being returned to me. I need to fix a couple of bolt holes in the cases and some of the cam cover screw holes , before he takes them to his shop.
I will take picture, with updates as it gets done.

Thanks for asking Jack. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Still working on it, slowly. Pictures coming soon.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Metalman

Post by Metalman »

I see it the same as you. I'm sure I could do the motor work if I wanted "BUT" don't have the special tools and fixtures, it would take a lot longer and there would be the risk of making a rookie mistake. I've heard good about Truett and Osborn Cycle.
Ernie F.