Panhead rebuild project...

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Patio

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Patio »

Quick update. I will write more as I can make some time. Flywheels are back and going to the builder tomorrow. I went through a whole inspection process, before deciding to let them go to the builder. I will write about that another time.
I got some shop time tonight and worked on the gear case cover. Some of the holes were broken out, from other people tightening the screws to much. I have a friend that welded the holes shut so I can remake them. I made a fixture, (with some guidance from Harold as how to make it) to hold the cover, that would allow me to take it off and put it back on the mill with out losing registration of the part. I then mapped all the holes before any welding was done. Tonight I milled the spaces, where the holes go, flat. Then the holes were drilled back out and a counter sink put back in the holes. Now I have to do a bunch of hand work with files and sand paper to get the proper contours back.
Here are some pictures of the process.

Split holes
20160410_190607a.jpg
Fixture. Both pins are made of SS and are press fit into the plate. The diamond pin will allow movement in one direction but not the other. The part can not rotate around, the round pin, but allows the distance between the two pins, not to be as critical.
20160523_220353a.jpg
A better look at the diamond pin.
20160706_204735a.jpg
Milled the face of the holes flat, then drilled the holes.
20160706_204802a.jpg
Then counter sunk the holes.
20160706_212036a.jpg
I am thinking about making some filing buttons for doing the outside profile of the holes. The rest of the work is hand work. Filing, sanding, and polishing.
More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Patio,
Because it's very easy to deform aluminum, especially when clamping on narrow surfaces such as the ridges on the casting, it's a good idea to insert a piece of wood, cross grain, so it doesn't split. It will deform enough to spread the clamping pressure and avoid doing any damage to the casting.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Nice work Pat, it is coming along nicely. :)

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Gear cover is done and off to the engine builder! He should have the motor together in about 3 weeks.
20160718_194832a.jpg
20160718_194909a.jpg
If one looks closely, some of the filing marks can still be seen in the finish. I had not intended to polish the cover at this time, but a friend talked me into it, after I had finished with it. I may go back and do a better job on it, after I have run it for awhile. Right now, I would will be happy to be able to ride it.

Next up are the front sliders. They are frozen up and will get new tubes. The tube that came with it are 10" over stock length. This really messes with the front end geometry, make the front end trying to flop over at low speed. I have ordered 2" over length the should get the bottom frame rails close to parallel with the ground. They should arrive in a couple of weeks. I can not use stock length, as the front neck has been cut to create a raked front end. Even with the rake one can use raked triple trees to obtain proper geometry numbers, but that is an entire operation with a bit of cost associated with it. Maybe someday I will get that done too.

I will not have much spare time for the next few weeks. I am part of an organization that is putting on 2 large events, between now and the end of August.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Got a little time in the shop today and may get some tomorrow too! :)
I forgot to take pictures of the process, sorry for that. I did get the front sliders on the fork tubes today.

This is a drawing of my front end.
20160806_205802a.jpg
Part #38, is a, 1 5/16"ODX7/8"IDX.010" thick. It is a "Shim...as req." part. I tried making one today. With out success! I have made one that was .020" thick, for the sportster rebuild, (that has it's own thread). Best I could get was about .015"-.017" and the thing would wad up, or deform so badly as to be unusable. I had to try it. :)

Here they are all assembled.
20160806_205437a.jpg
I have cleaned up all the brake parts and they are ready for assemble also. So now I need to reassemble the front end as a whole.

I may have enough time to clean the rear wheel assembly too.

Getting closer to being able to ride her. :)
Thanks for looking.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

IMG_1066.jpeg
IMG_1066.jpeg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 24897 times
Did someone mention Trail and Handling? I see a guy cruising around on this in my neighborhood all the time in heavy traffic. He always looks cool as a cucumber, cutting in and out and around cars.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Bruce, that is a Long bike! I like long bikes. :) I bit to much for me though, but if done right, it would handle well enough, even if it took a football field to turn around.

Life has been busy, but here is a picture of where I am at.
20160917_185728a.jpg
I need to flush the oil bag, install the primary, connect a few wires and I should be running. :roll:
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Looking good. :) :)

Jack.
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Patio,
I've been following along sporadically, and like the work you've performed. Kinda wish there were more pics of the progress...BUT, I would like to know how you've timed the engine by yourself. I can't seem to get mine right on the spot "myself".
toolroom
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Jack!

Toolroom, I have not made any progress since the last picture I posted. I just bought a truck and camper. I have been spending most of my free time on getting the two married up. The rainy season is just starting here, so all the outdoors work come first. I need to get my old truck ready to sell also.

As far as the timing goes, I static time them so as to be able to get them started and then I will have a friend, who is much better than me at tuning these things than I, come and help.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
toolroom

Post by toolroom »

Ah, the key word...Friend! Wish I had one. Send me yours when he's finished, I'm just south of you in Oregon. I've been following your other threads on your "machines," and all the tooling you've been able to create. You are a real machinist in the making. Next you'll find your SHOP is too small!
Best of luck in your adventures!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Toolroom, my current lack of space is saving me lots of money! :roll:

I got a little time in the shop on Sunday. I had removed the oil bag from the bike last week. This weekend I got it all cleaned out inside. I also did a little repair on the drain plug hole, while I had it out. I tapped the hole out to 7/6"X20 and made a new brass nut and a cooper washer, for it. I sacrificed one of my screw bit holders for the magnet and glued it into the end of the bolt. I still need to do a test to make sure the glue is going to be ok in the oil environment. The oil bag is back in the bike. Next is to get the wiring sorted back out.
20161113_142736a.jpg
A little at a time, and someday it will be done. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!