Panhead rebuild project...

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, JackF

Harold_V

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Harold_V » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:07 am

Looking good, patio.
Did you ever discover the source of the noise in the engine (the squeal)?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

JackF

Post by JackF » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am

Good job Pat. :D When you pulled back into the yard after the run around the block I heard sirens, then noticed you pull into the shop right away. :? :wink: Tell me that wasn't Barney chasing after you. :shock: :wink: :lol:

Jack.

Patio

Post by Patio » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Halorld, I believe the noise was a bronze bearing in the cam chest that had not gotten oil yet. I have not heard any squeals or other worrisome noises, since that initial starting of the motor.

Jack, the sirens are from a business located near by. They were going off for quite some time. They would reset every so often and then start all over again. I call the police and they may have done something, because they did not last much longer. I may ride bikes, but I do try to keep my nose clean. :)

Thanks for all the nice comments.
I am now eagerly waiting for clear days so I can get some break-in miles on the bike. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!

neanderman

Post by neanderman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:15 am

Ride safely!
Ed

Le Blond Dual Drive
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"

Patio

Post by Patio » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:21 am

A little update on the Panhead.
I have found the cause of the squeal I experienced when starting the bike for the first time. The front rocker arm support was galled. I have also discovered that the heads had some issues with galled valves and cracked valve guides. Both heads are in the shop getting rebuilt. I should get them back soon. In the mean time I have been building prototyping a set of foot controls, that fit me and function better than the original set up. I have acquired a used speedometer, from a swap meet this past weekend and will try to graft it onto the bike in the future. I have been using an app on my smart phone for speed and distance. I will get some pictures together of the process soon, too. I have about 40 miles on it at this moment. Only another 460 more to break it in.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!