Tecumseh 16hp

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

spro

Tecumseh 16hp

Post by spro »

I bought a mower tractor which is good heavy machine. The engine was locked but I got it free by steps and it is very smooth now. I haven't taken the head off because it so right now. I took the overhead valve cover off and it was like the first time anyone was there. Not a speck of rust or sludge. I oiled after wiping and the engine was at bottom center where rockers were loose. I tapped and valve stems are free and lubed. This engine is 40 yrs old now and doesn't look it.
Fwiw the way I cleaned it was to remove the carburetor. There was a powder of aluminum oxide noticed at the opening of the carb which had not a cover. This engine has an intake port into the block to the head and that was full of the same powder. I cleaned all this out and left with a film. In this way I could adjust the opening of valves by turning the engine and vacuum out from known cleaner areas. The muffler was a main concern and could vacuum it out only knowing that garbage wasn't being pulled in from another area.
So anyway there is some junk in the trunk around bdc and I think it is oiler or balancing unit. It isn't a rod bearing and only noticed when turning the shaft forward and reverse at that point.
The old oil was not terrible. There is some more of it with the different penetrants and will be changed. Do you think there is something else besides lubed cylinder, fresh gas and carb rebuild at this point?
steamin10

Re: Tecumseh 16hp

Post by steamin10 »

any time an engine has been sitting for a few years, it is much wiser to tear it apart to the short block than try to run it, with the danger of destroying the engine in seconds. Much better to rock the crank and determine if rods are tight, or oil in the case has water. When sitting for a long time they 'breath' and that bit of exchange can cause many issues over time, so I grit my teeth and usually break the case and looky see whats there.

larger engines get expensive real quick in higher horse power, so it is smart money to mind the machine and give it its best chance to live.

Just my .02.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
spro

Post by spro »

I will take your advise to heart. I used a bore scope to look inside the cylinder area. Once the piston was free, I turned it so the piston came up a certain area and then lowered it so that I could clean the area that the rings brought up minor stickies. I used swabs which are like long Q-tips with wooden handles, to go in there and wipe away that stuff. It is really pretty clean in there. fwtw
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ok. Without knowing if rings are stuck, or are rusty and will score the cylinder, all bets are off for me. Bits of rust and muck are what destroy these engines, like running them in dust without an air filter. Just plain dumb. Take that extra hour, and make it right as you can. Cylinders can be honed to re-use a ring. Rings can be cleaned in muratic acid, or polished flat on 400 sandpaper to re use them. It will run fine, being low compression engines to start with. Many of the old tricks still work, without having to get gouges buying parts. Gaskets can be cut and made, O rings are cheep, and many will fit what you do. Like building a steam engine, this is old technology of mechanics. Computers rule, but the puter guy cant make the elctrons fix a broken rod.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.