Elmer Wall 50cc flathead

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Nebuchadnezzar

Elmer Wall 50cc flathead

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

I bought this engine at an auction in NJ several years ago. It turns over by hand but I have never tried to run it. Several people have asked to buy it but I have no idea how much it is worth. I welcome any suggestions. The 50cc 4cyl engine in the latest catalogue is $449 for the castings etc (? Wall)
Attachments
Wall engine.jpg
Harold_V

Re: Elmer Wall 50cc flathead

Post by Harold_V »

My opinion on worth?
A great deal depends on the quality of machining involved. If the engine was machined by an individual with little common sense and poor skills, it may not be functional at all, thus, most likely diminishing its value considerably.

Brings to mind a beautiful triple expansion steam engine model I found in an antique store many years ago. Equipped with reverse gear, it was a beauty to behold, but the machining was of such poor quality that the bearing fits of the rods had what appeared to be more than ten thou clearance, most likely needed in order for the poorly machined engine to turn.

You might be well served to see if you can get the engine to run before attempting to market the thing. It would reveal all manner of things, including whether it was worth owning, or not.

Harold
Last edited by JackF on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rotate pic to right side up
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.