The Packard V 8

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

NP317

RN

Post by NP317 »

During the 40+ years I lived in Seattle, our home on the N side of Queen Anne Hill placed our two son's at eye altitude of the various float planes taking off from Lake Union.
We used to tell time by the sounds of the DH Beavers' Pratt & Whitney 985 radial engines droning by. Like railroad schedules of old.

We're not surprised that our older son is a pilot! And Beavers remain our favorite airplane still.
I still have the 6 ft. span RC model I scratch built of one of the local Beavers.
~RN
Attachments
Beaver 1 sml.jpg
Beaver 4.jpg
Steggy

Re: The Packard V 8

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:24 amHeh! Brings back memories of my youth, living in Utah. It wasn't uncommon to hear a B-36 flying overhead. One could rarely see it, but the sound was unmistakable. Deep, heavy droning.
B-36: six turning and four burning!
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Re: RN

Post by Harold_V »

NP317 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:55 am I still have the 6 ft. span RC model I scratch built of one of the local Beavers.~RN
Wow! Nice!
What powers that plane? (the model)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Re: RN

Post by NP317 »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:20 am
NP317 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:55 am I still have the 6 ft. span RC model I scratch built of one of the local Beavers.~RN
Wow! Nice!
What powers that plane? (the model)

H
A Saito 4-cycle engine. Sounds good in the air.
~RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You want a B-17? I'll give you a B-17.

Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

I lived in Southeast Alaska for quite a while. Float planes were a basic piece of transportation, including Beavers, and I used to fly and charter many. 185's, 206's....dime a dozen, and boring. :) The Beaver has some power! I've taken off loaded up with tools, parts and people, where the floats were almost completely submerged, sometimes wondering if we were going to be able to.
Single engine Otters too, but the exhaust comes out right under the cockpit, and the roar will rattle your teeth out.

Nice mini-Beaver!!

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

warmstrong1955 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:46 pm [snip]
Nice mini-Beaver!!

Bill
Thanks.
Flaps work, landing light goes on when flaps are down, light beacon flashes, and it flies really nicely. STOL capable.
~RN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:24 pm You want a B-17? I'll give you a B-17.

What? No bombs??? :roll:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

If you want bombs, you have to use the alarm setting.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

spro wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:58 pm I thought Studebaker bought Packard while the big 3 were devastating the smaller companies.
I was passing through a small central Florida town yesterday, and when passing by an old building that used to be a junk store that I had visited years ago. The owner passed away and it had since been sitting closed up. I saw it was now occupied again and a bit of pressure cleaning has revealed something interesting, so I turned around a snapped a pic!
DSC00884.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

This thread has wandered so far off the topic, it's pretty much unsalvagable, but if anyone really wants to know about Studebaker and Packard V8s, PM me and we can discuss specifics.

jack vines
Obsolete Engineering Division
of Mager Engine
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jack:
As one of the Wanderers, I Thank You for sharing your information.
Quite interesting, as I'm a Packard straight-eight Fan.
~RN