The Packard V 8

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

neanderman

Re: The Packard V 8

Post by neanderman »

I meant no disrespect whatsoever. Just pointing out that the Chevy small block V-8 was/is a versatile, highly respected engine.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

No problem. Most everyone I know has the same respect for the small block Chevys ( and larger).
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:29 am No problem. Most everyone I know has the same respect for the small block Chevys ( and larger).
I'm not a fan.
Buick "nail head". One of the prettiest and high torque engines to have been built without going to overhead cams.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My favorite automobile engine is still the Packard Straight Eight.
At the Hood River, OR, WAAAMuseum, there are several still being operated.
http://www.waaamuseum.org

LOVE the sound of those straight 8s!
(Radial aircraft engines are even better...)
~RN
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thumbs up on the radial aircraft engine. Amazing technology.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:56 amBuick "nail head". One of the prettiest and high torque engines to have been built without going to overhead cams.
But, oh the agony of those tiny exhaust valves and lack of high RPM power. Also, the Buick V8's lower end was not the best.

While in high school, a buddy and I put a 401 CI Buick "nail head" engine (the term refers to the tiny valves fitted to the engine) in a Model A. The high torque was fun, but hot-rodding the engine proved to be mostly an exercise in futility, as the engine would be out of breath at 5500 RPM. For the same cost, a 350 CI Chevy small block could produce more power than the 401 Buick, with half the work, and could extend that power curve over a much wider RPM range.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

neanderman wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:49 am Thumbs up on the radial aircraft engine. Amazing technology.
...and they have a truly unique sound, especially when running at cruise RPM.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
spro

Post by spro »

Straight 8's are huge different topic. When you look at the long hoods from the even 1940's those vehicles would take either. When I worked in a junk yard, I wondered about those grand long engines. Tremendous torque.
The Hudsons were something else and even the 6 -cyl were huge . I maybe saw one Hudson straight 8 and some guy got it out of there.
This place was running out of room and was crushing what they thought unproductive.
Can't hold everything old, ..they did for a while. Sometimes I told them it was too cool to smash.. I was a child and they had a business to operate. Seriously They had to get stuff out.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 pm ...and they have a truly unique sound, especially when running at cruise RPM.
I love it when a B-17, B-25, or B-29 comes to town.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

spro

Post by spro »

Oh freakin Yes. No comparison!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

neanderman wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:33 pm
BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 pm ...and they have a truly unique sound, especially when running at cruise RPM.
I love it when a B-17, B-25, or B-29 comes to town.
How about a DC-6 taking off? Four Pratt R2800s making lots of radial music. Here's another one, with all 72 cylinders firing hard.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! Brings back memories of my youth, living in Utah. It wasn't uncommon to hear a B-36 flying overhead. One could rarely see it, but the sound was unmistakable. Deep, heavy droning.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.