chainsaw collectors???

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

stephen thomas

chainsaw collectors???

Post by stephen thomas »

Since it seems like everything is collectible these days; got to wondering if there are people who may collect chainsaws? I've been tripping over the 2 cylinder, 2-man kiekaffer-mercury on the way in and out of my cellar shop so long I hardly notice it's there. Any web lists out there? Any parts sources? Last time we used it for serious was about 20 years ago felling on a small tract. Then someone got careless and left it set where a falling tree branch busted the oiler handle on the helpers end of the saw. Oiler still works, but doesn't look as nice and you have to help it along since the casting no longer provides support. It would be nice to find a replacement part. Any value for old saws with original straight tooth chain like this? smt
Doug_C

Re: chainsaw collectors???

Post by Doug_C »

Don't know where else to send you but searching the web. Quite a bit came up between 2 man, Mercury and Antique Chainsaws.

But..... that twin cylinder engine would be cool on a model airplane or an ultralite. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Makes me wonder if any of those were used on drones. That was how McCulloch got its big start anyway.

DC
Michael_Az

Post by Michael_Az »

ebay has a lot of chainsaw dealers, might ask some of them for parts.
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.
stephen thomas

Re: chainsaw collectors???(found it!)

Post by stephen thomas »

Thanks for the hints. Someone form another list suggested doing a search for "mike acres chainsaw" and there is indeed a list and database.

heres a pic of the one like mine. Mine seems to be the later model 11hp KB7-AY, but with the more involved helper end plunger oiler and reservoir of the earlier KB6-AY

Chain Saw Collectors Corner-KB7-AY
Bob_W

Ultimate Chainsaw

Post by Bob_W »

Since you guys were talking about chainsaws, thought you might appreciate this. It has been around for a while so some of you may have already seen it. I had trouble running it directly from the site on an old computer but downloading it worked well. It is a 1.5Mb video clip and you can right click on the link and save the file if desired.

Ultimate Chainsaw

Bob W
Fredp

Post by Fredp »

What part of the world are you in? I have some friends here in southwest Washington State that are into old saws.

Fred P.................
stephen thomas

Post by stephen thomas »

Fred-

sorry, I missed seeing this post from you earlier. Opposite coast, I'm sorry to report in this instance. Elmira, NY, home of Hardinge, Schweizer aircraft, and once home of American LaFrance fire engines. smt
sandman2234

Post by sandman2234 »

Footnote:
You know there is a 1940's La France fire truck on ebay. Owner is trustworthy, and honest. I have done a couple of deals and everything has worked out fine. David from Jax
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
Franz

Post by Franz »

Steve if you're interested in selling the saw let me know at franzd1@iwon.com
Thanks
Brian_h

Post by Brian_h »

I have a friend having an auction next week (June 25) in Marcell Minnesota (out in the sticks). He has listed Indian, Mercury Disston, and David Bradley antique chain saws. I want one to paint up for a coffe table decoration but I don't think that idea will fly with the cheif interior decorator. He also has some old outboards probably the only one of possible value is a Water Witch.
lunbom

Post by lunbom »

Yes, Mercury made drone engines. To learn more about the Kiekiefer story, look for a copy IRON FIST. It's the biography of Carl Kiekiefer. Fascinating read. Ted Jones of unlimited hydroplane fame worked for Kiekiefer and was instrumental in working out the bugs in their drone program.
Bill
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

That is interesting Bill,

Thanks for the pointer. I have seen some of the drone engines for sale. My interest is not enthusiastically quite as high as the asking price though. I will be looking for a copy of that book along with others I would like to find.

If you like aircraft history. Read the Skunk Works by Ben R. Rich. He was Kelly Johnson's right hand man and took over the leadership role when the F117 Stealth was first concieved.

The History of Piston Aircraft Engines was good too. As early engineering struggled to create manufacturing processes for large castings, cooling and improved power to weight ratio's, the long road to success was still serving the purposes of the era. Even the humorous side of others following the trends of risk takers that led nowhere or found unrelated purposes elswhere.

DC