rcvengines

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

oheider

rcvengines

Post by oheider »

I don't know how many are radio controlled model airplane enthusiasts but I found something very interesting at the Doctor's office today (he said don't come back). There was an issue of RCM and in the issue was a very interesting engine at

http://www.megamodels.co.uk/rcvengine.htm

I hope I posted this correctly.

Otto
Doug_C

Re: rcvengines

Post by Doug_C »

Hello Otto,

I have seen these engines, but considering the monkey motion and history of sliding pistons in a spinning cylinder as sleeve valves in the past. I wonder about life span in comparison to proven conventional engine technology.

Here are a couple more that have caught my eye for non-conventional note worthy designs.

Erickson Engines

Ball Piston Engine

Plenty more out there too. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
wildun

Re: rcvengines

Post by wildun »

oheider wrote: There was an issue of RCM and in the issue was a very interesting engine at http://www.megamodels.co.uk/rcvengine.htm

Otto
This RCV engine worked, but not well enough to grab the attention of enough customers! There have been reports of horrendous noise from the bevel gearing. What is interesting is that RCV seemed to have more success with their other engines with more conventional layout.
It's very interesting of course but there have been other types of cylindrical valves on engines before and none of them have met with a lot of success.
However,talking about fullsize engines, really successful sleeve valve engines were made by Bristol and Napier for military aircraft during WW2. in Britain - eg the sleeve valve engine used by the Hawker Sea Fury, which I'm told is still used in the USA for pylon racing and which had a great maintenance record during the war. (but correct me if I'm wrong).
The Ericsson engine is a complete departure from the norm, but does not seem to have had any commercial success so far.
As for the ball piston engine, just about no trace of it can be found on the net anymore - again, I found it's possibilities interesting but no one has actually taken up it's development.
Will.