First Four-Stroke?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

ehulshiz

First Four-Stroke?

Post by ehulshiz »

I am just getting started on IC engines. I am looking at ET Westbury's KIWI or WHIPPET for a first attempt. Has anyone built either of these classic engines? Is there another engine you would recommend for a beginner?
Dave_S

Re: First Four-Stroke?

Post by Dave_S »

I would need to ask some questions before I gave an opinion. What size of an engine are you interested in? What machinery do you have available? Are you an experienced machinist, or are you using this project to learn (that's the route I took - my first 4-stroke was also my first machinist project.) Are you looking for something with machinable castings, or would you prefer to work strictly from metal stock? Let me know the above, and I'll try to point you in some kind of direction.

Dave S.
ehulshiz

Post by ehulshiz »

Still pretty green. I have built one oscilating engine, and I am starting on my second one. I have a 7X12 (Asian) lathe and an (Asian) mill. Small Craftsman Drill press.
3 jaw, 4 jaw, letter, number, and fractional cobalt drill bits, 2 and four flute end mills, rotary table, angle drill press vise. I have always wanted to build an I/C engine. I want to work from castings. I bought ET Westbury's SEAL castings twenty-some years ago, before I even had a lathe. (what a fool!) I have been hooked ever since.......
Mosey

Post by Mosey »

I suggest you look at Hamilton Upshur's Farm Engine design.
It was my first machining project, and it ran! It is a single four stroke. You can build it with water or air cooling, and there is a flywheel casting available. Also, he is a great guy who will give you help should you need it.
You can buy the plans from him, or look them up in the MICE magazine. Contact me if your interested for the adress.