Miniature Maytag Engine

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

icemaker

Miniature Maytag Engine

Post by icemaker »

Does anyone know if Norman Brockelsby is still around and making the castings for the scale model matag twin engine? I saw a picture on the front of a back issue of Strictly IC and the source was listed as Norman's Miniatures. I couldn't find any information for this. Thanks.
pstephens

Re: Miniature Maytag Engine

Post by pstephens »

I realize that this reply is pathetically late, but I only just discovered this forum.

I know the engine you're referring to, as I am the builder. It was completed in early 1994, and Mr. Washburn was gracious enough to place it on the magazine cover.

Norman's Miniatures was the business name for Norman Brocklesby's model engine enterprise. He produced a number of model engine kits, foremost among them the 2-cyl Maytag, and an FD/FH Briggs & Stratton. I have the Briggs kit, but have yet to start on it.

Unfortunately, I have not kept in contact with Norman for the past ten years, or so. He was well into retirement when we last corresponded, and I don't know if he's still around. The last time I saw him was at the '95 NAMES show, I believe. I remember him as a wonderful old guy, extremely helpful, and very prolific in the model engine hobby. He was so tickled when one of "his" engines showed up on the cover of a magazine!

Here's a picture of one of his Briggs engines (1/2 scale, 1-1/8" bore):

If anyone would like to try contacting him, here is the most recent info I have:

Norman Brocklesby
1127 1/2 North Sherman
Grand Island, NE 68803
(308) 382-5766
icemaker

Post by icemaker »

Beautiful work on your engine. I would really like to build one. I did find that address shortly after I originally posted here and sent a letter. It was not returned by the post office and I never received a reply. Thanks for the reply and again, very nice work. Bill
pstephens

Post by pstephens »

Thanks for the kind words!

If you're still interested in building a Maytag engine model, there's a guy named Brad Smith who sells casting kits for the Maytag upright and fruit jar engines (half-scale, I believe). They're not the highest quality castings in the world, but a talented builder could make a really fine model with them. Here's a picture of a model made from one of the upright kits. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the builder:

Source of casting kits:

Brad Smith
7574 S. 74th Street
Franklin, WI 53132
(414) 529-3440
Kelly T

Post by Kelly T »

Last I heard of Norman Brockelsby he was living in an nursing home. This is just the scuttle butt aroung the shows though!

Kelly T
corlissbs

Post by corlissbs »

Noman passed away. I used to have his obit, but I don't anymore.

In regards to my casting kits of both the Upright Maytag and the Fruit Jar Maytag, I no longer sell castings. I had kept a few pieces of each part in a box to replace castings that had been damaged, etc, but since so long of a time had past, I put the last castings into sets and sold them off. Every once in a while, one of my casting sets or finished models does show up on Ebay.

Brad Smith
Franklin, WI
Brad E. Smith
JackF

Post by JackF »

It's always nice to see an old thread revived. Thanks for the info Brad. :)

Jack.