Infernal Combustion Engines

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

oheider

Infernal Combustion Engines

Post by oheider »

I guess I will start this because a) I am fearless or b) because I have come to like the taste of my own feet.
I am a fan of the magazine Strictly I.C. which has stopped being published because Bob decided he needed to make chips.
I believe that many readers of this forum have built model engines and those of us who have not built any could use inspiring photo's, tips and inspiration.
Raise the floodgates and let the the email pour in!

Otto
Ian_Timshel

Re: Infernal Combustion Engines

Post by Ian_Timshel »

Otto.
Glad you ventured forth... [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] I hope to glean some tips and inspiration from your efforts here. I talked to a guy today who spoke of a Harley engine that was a few inches long shown at Rolag MN. this past fall. I'd have liked to have seen that. I question the "infernal" bit tho...heh

From my "gdict" app: Infernal machine, a machine or apparatus maliciously designed to explode, and destroy life or property.

Whether you intended to make me laugh or not I sure did..
[img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Registered Linux user #256502
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Mega Cheers to you Otto.

I too am a BIG fan of Strictly I.C. It had a great niche and has me amazed that it has reached so far around the world. The founder of this publication has had some distant influence on me for many years.

I started into model airplanes at about 12years old and purchased many models and engines from Bob at his hobby shop with lawn mowing money.

Then in the early 80's I had stopped in and seen a small 3 cylinder radial he had built himself. Very impressive to me. I had taken Metal shop classes and built a small steam engine. I was just starting my career in the metal cutting industry.

The visit I had with Bob discussing the engine and a few of his setups had me hooked. Over the years it made the little bug bigger. I wanted glow plugs and I wanted it to fly an R/C airplane. I began by acquiring broken engines, remaking and modifying parts. I now have a Bipe with a Toro weed whacker motor converted to glow. Having a blast with that.

In about '88 I had been looking at a trade journal and seen an advertisement for a Model engine magazine. After I had received Strictly I.C. for about 2 years, knowing it was published locally. I decided to give a call to check if there were engines in their Lobby to see first hand. Not realizing that this was done out of their home. Also not realizing that I was speaking with Bob until he told me of the Hobby Shop they had owned in town and sold. Those pieces fell together as a big surprise.

Bob and Frances even had a gathering at their home. My Son(at age 16) and I were graciously invited to attend. It was a great time for everyone. Seen lots of engines run. I had my in-process Satra-Morton M5 there. Here comes Bob with his 1940's original M5 in a tin box complete with hub and blades. I'll remember that day forever!

Bob and I have crossed paths in some mysterious way or another, off and on, over the last 3 decades. Lately at PRIME. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

I just never know where our paths may cross again! Since you have started this. It could be HERE? We can only hope eh?

Where MICE builders gather!

Somebody Pinch me, am I really awake![img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

O.K. I'll nibble. Are the castings still available for the "Wall" series of I. C. engines??
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Melw

Post by Melw »

Yes From cole's power models. I had asked about this on a difrent forem and got this in responice.

Since Cole's was sold to new owners over the summer there have been
some dramatic price increases! Their current price list (July 2002)
shows the following:

C601 (50cc Wall-4) casting and drawing set: $449.00 (This does not
include camshaft nor crankshaft)
Gear set: $46.00
Spark plugs: $8.00 each. $32.00 for 4
Bearings: $16.50
Valve springs: $12.00 per set of 8

I dont have any contact info for Cole's but a webserch on Google will brobly turn up somthing.
Mel
Oh look my first post to the new board. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/ooo.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Bob_W

Post by Bob_W »

The first engine I built was a horizontal farm engine design by Upsher. The attached picture was taken near the completion of the project. The second engine was a 1/2 Hp New Holland hit and miss and photos were posted in the Photo Forum a while ago. Just getting started with a 1/2 scale Olds hit and miss engine.

From your location I would assume you would not make the Cabin Fever show in York, PA. But hopefully they have similar ones in your area. There will be some beautiful work on display at these shows.

Bob W
Melw

Post by Melw »

Bob W.
That Upsher is cute. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] Did you build it from plans?
Mel W.
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

I had thought it was Coles Power models that put that out, but found it was the Holt that they offered.

Here is one Wall you can see and hear run with videos. He has updated this site to include cam grinding too.

http://www.nvbackflow.com/engines/index.html

DC
Doug_C

Here is Coles Power Models link

Post by Doug_C »

They have a PDF price list. Not much to their site though.

http://www.colespowermodels.com/

DC
oheider

Post by oheider »

I want to thank everyone for their replies-great pictures.
I discovered this forum by accident (before the recent change) and have been hooked since then. I have grown to appreciate every individuals talents and perspectives. I am truly amazed by the range of abilities and experiences represented by the people who post here.
I have been collecting articles and information about building engines for many years. I have not even started one, I feel that one day I will or at least when I retire. I suspect that I am not the only person in this situation, sometimes your life goes in the way you don't expect and other important things steer you away from the intended path.
I can't build them at the moment but I certainly can read about building engines from the people who know best--builders.
I did attend the NAMES event in Eugene. I had a wonderful time just looking at the exhibits and talking to some of the builders.
I have a mechanical and technical background, have pushed a broom and been guaranteed a cup of coffee because I bin to culledge. I did not take a shop class until college and that opened up a new world.
I have some questions about building engines that might spark some discussion:
Does everyone plan and make drawings of the engines that get built or do some of you find a piece of scrap and think that would make a nice cylinder and just let the process lead?

Otto
Doug_C

Re: Internal Combustion Engines

Post by Doug_C »

Not much chances of success just picking a chunk of metal to base a design on, I wouldn't think. That would take far more than home shop skills to re-invent that wheel.

For my particular use, I stick with aircraft purpose motors. Twins are a favorite. Radials are cool too. I have been contemplating the scale of the Fairchilds Caminez Cam style engine for a few years. I found some patent drawings to do overlays in AutoCad for capturing the essence of the geometry. This engine is a 4 cylinder radial. It completes all for cycles in one revolution.

The problem is that the links are only .157 wide. Don't think this would hold at 4000 RPM. Although I do have some Titanium set aside for the task.

DC
Doug_C

Principle of operation

Post by Doug_C »

Here is another view as displayed in my 1928 Dykes manual.

This explains the link system and how it interacts with the piston and bowtie.

Facinating design for early engineering.

DC