Breisch-Peters Hit & MIss

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

RickBarb

Breisch-Peters Hit & MIss

Post by RickBarb »

I am in the final stages of completing a Breisch-Peters LIL' BROTHER
gas engine and I cannot figure out how the "Engine Base Points" are to
be mounted, i.e. to the base casting or to the engine base. The plans
are not clear to me. If anyone on this list is familiar with this
particular engine, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts / advice.

Thanks

Rick
Doug_C

Re: Breisch-Peters Hit & MIss

Post by Doug_C »

Hello Rick,

You could contact the supplier if there is one.

I can't answer your question specifically. Are you are speaking of feet point for the base or spark ignition points?

I'd need to see what you had going to offer much assistance other than moral support! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img] My kind of moral support would be "You can do it......... if you knew what to do!" [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Can you post a PIC of prints or the engine?

DC
rklopp

Post by rklopp »

I'm building the Breisch Hired Man, and on it, the points also are rather sketchy. Photos show a milled seat on the front of the base under the water tank. The drawings leave one to one's own devices, so I milled a small seat and will make a small brass bracket to hold a Hall effect device. This will be the "battery saver" "points." The actual ignition "points" will be a Hall effect behind the cam gear, with a magnet buried in the gear. I used stuff from Jerry Howell. JEH ignition stuff
icemaker

Post by icemaker »

I am also building one of these engines. I haven't gotten that far yet, however, I have studied the prints for that part. Item K on E313 is the moveable point that attaches to the exhaust valve push rod. Item L on E313 is the stationary point. It is mounted in a phenolic (or other insulating material) block that is attached to a piece of 1/2" angle iron. The angle iron has two holes drilled in it to attach it to the base casting. The drawing for the base doesn't show these holes. I assume that you drill them to fit after the push rod and movealbe point have been assembled by lining up the points to be concentric and then marking the base through the two holes in the angle. At least that is my interpretation, may not be correct.
RickBarb

Post by RickBarb »

That is how I read the plans also, but I am not convinced that is the way to go. There is no place on the base casting that will allow mounting the angle in any sort of an aesthetic manner. I have searched and have come up with several photos of this engine and one of them shows the points mounted to the front of the base casting with a coil spring. It is much more compact and in my opinion looks better. I think I am going to come up with something along those lines. I sent an e'mail to Jay Peters requesting more information on how to mount the points, but no response. The photo of this engine on their website does not show the points being mounted. Wonder why???
icemaker

Post by icemaker »

I have the base, crankshaft, connecting rod, piston, and cylinder machining completed and am working on the head. I haven't spent much time yet thinking about these details. I have seen a few pictures of completed engines, but did not study them. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the details on all of these types of casting kits are kind of up to the builder. I bought the casting kit last year at NAMES. If you live anywhere close to the Detroit Michigan area this show is worth attending. I got the impression that Jay Peters displays and sells every year here. I have gone the last three years. If my schedule allows I will go again this spring and can take some pictures of any examples I see.
GaryHelmick

Post by GaryHelmick »

Thanks for the link to Jerry Howell's site. I had forgotten about it till you posted it.
I have built some of his projects, and was looking for some good ways to do ignition sets.
I just might do one on a Ottawa engine I have if the ignition ever goes out on it.
Thanks
Gary Helmick