V8 order of machining operations

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Robert_Duncan

V8 order of machining operations

Post by Robert_Duncan »

I am working on an Amsbury V8 IC engine. I have the block built up from brass bar stock. I am making plans to start the block machining process. I know the crank bore has to be parallel to the finished surface of the top of the cylinder banks (or is it the other way around?).

Should I line bore the crank bores and use that as a datum to surface the cylinder banks or pick a cylinder bank to surface and locate the crank and opposite cylinder bank from that?

My thinking is to locate the crank first, and make it perpendicular to the back of the block. Letting the front crank bore fall when it may (since the block is not perfectly square front to back after all the brazing operations). This would allow a bell housing or some sort of power take off mount to easily mount to the block and be square to the crank.

Can I then use a piece of drill rod of the appropriate size in the crank bore to clamp the block in order to surface the cylinder banks?

thanks,
ronbee

Re: V8 order of machining operations

Post by ronbee »

please inform where your amsbury engine is available and where I can get info regards ron bennetts@hotmail.com
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Hello Robert,

I read this some time ago. I figured someone would respond sooner. Sorry you had to wait this long.

From what I have seen in engine rebuild shops. The best method is as you describe. Use the crank bores all the way through the project should keep the geometry true to the reciprocating assemblies.

I would like to hear more about the Amsbury V8 also.

DC
Robert_Duncan

Post by Robert_Duncan »

I found the Amsbury V8 plans on the Yaho MICE Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Min_Int_C ... ury%20V-8/

I was interested in it since it uses no castings and I had a big chunk of 1/2" brass bar stock.

I have not gotten any further than brazing up the flat stock.

When I tried to set up the live center in my lathe I found out the bearing were bad. I don't have the cash to replace the live center and it is the only center I have.
NAMPeters

Post by NAMPeters »

I would first establish the pan interface plane then do the bellhousing surface square to the pan face. Now establish the crank C/L square to the bell housing surface and distanced from the pan surface. Next do the head surfaces square from the bell housing surface, indexed from the pan surface and distanced from the crank C/L. Now bore the cylinders parallel and distanced to the bell housing surface, indexed to the pan surface and centered to the crank C/L. That should give you the basic block dimensions.
Neil (Chief Hinder Scratcher) Peters