Distributor Material

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

solek

Distributor Material

Post by solek »

Working on a "Panther Pup" and am having a problem finding the material to make distributor from. The plans say "made of phenolic, such as, bakelite, micarta, or equivent". The stock must be 1 5/8" diameter and need about 3" long.
Does anyone know where I can get the material for the distributor?
Harold_V

Re: Distributor Material

Post by Harold_V »

I can't help but think a paper based phenolic would be a good choice. Linen based material tends to have some strings and can often lack the same density as paper based, especially the very center.

Check in the yellow pages to see if there's a plastic supply house in your town. If so, they should have a generous selection from which to choose.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Will this do the job?

Page 3343, McMaster-Carr

Grade XX Garolite Rods
• Max. Temp.: 284° F, not rated for low-end temperature use
• Impact Strength: Good
• Excellent electrical insulator
• Machine with standard tooling

2" Dia. 8526K116 31.81 Per Ft.
[b]Bryan[/b]
[i]"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."[/i] Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
stevej51

Post by stevej51 »

try enco. in the materials section of their catalog they will most likely have what you want. also available online at enco.com.
solek

Post by solek »

Thanks for everyones help.
Enco does not have phenolis in their cat., use them most of the time, get an order in two days. Fast
Ordered a foot of material from McMaster-Carr. Will let you know if it works.