Practical applications for Model ICs?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

mrehmus

Re: Practical applications for Model ICs?

Post by mrehmus »

What Ken Hurst (another BAEM member) doesn't say is that they've blown rods in those Challenger V-8s (3 shakey main bearings) and are now busy building a supercharged 5 main-bearing V-8 with a cast 4130 crankshaft. The kit will cost about $1,000 when they get it (the casting kit) finished.

That should power a go-kart fairly nicely.
Mike Rehmus
Editor, Model Engine Builder Magazine
[url=http://www.modelenginebuilder.com]www.modelenginebuilder.com[/url]
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

I don't know how the engines currently being sold by these folks:

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/engine/twocyl.htm

would do for go-kart power. They might be lacking in power. There is a link on the site to a four cylinder engine (looks like a flat flat four) as well.

http://saturnsurplus.com/engine/engine.htm

The most recent issue of Live Steam magazine includes a brief writeup of a 1.5" scale 7.5" gauge rail motor car powered with one of the two cylinder ones.

I would suggest you not jump right into mixing the two hobbies of go-karts and miniature I.C. engine building. The boring old Briggs is used for the go-kart hobby because a blown engine won't break your heart or your wallet.

Charles
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I would suggest you not jump right into mixing the two hobbies of go-karts and miniature I.C. engine building. The boring old Briggs is used for the go-kart hobby because a blown engine won't break your heart or your wallet.

Charles

Excellent advice! The only exception to that would be if you engineered a miniature engine to actually be used. For the most part, they are not. Material selections are not up to standards to endure the punishment to which they would be subjected in use. Failure would be inevitable.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ChopperCharles

Post by ChopperCharles »

If you simply want more power on your go-cart, go scour junkyards for an old two-stroke single-cylinder dirtbike engine, in the 100-200cc range. They're light, very powerful (20-30hp for a 1970's era 200cc engine with the proper exhaust and jetting), and very inexpensive to buy. Plus they're already set up for driving a chain to a rear axle.

I have a 1971 Kawasaki 175cc enduro bike, and the bike will easily do 75mph on the highway, with my fat ass riding it no less. I can pick the bike up and load it into the back of my pickup with no help, and when I had the engine out I could carry it and lift it onto the bench with no worries - and I have a notoriously bad back.

Charles.