boat plans for ENYA 90-4C?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Doug_C

Re: boat plans for ENYA 90-4C?

Post by Doug_C »

I can't speak from experience on building airboats per say. I just know I've seen them around and they looked like a kick to race with. All be it as expected....they were not very controllable. I guess some had put rudders into the water to help that condition, but it does reduce the reason for having a flat bottom boat.

In R/C aircraft we tilt the engine on its mount to compensate for torque roll on take off. I don't know if that would compensate enough on a boat. How about swinging the whole engine on a post? Swamp para-sail? LOL!

As to no cooling on the engine? Out of several things that are not scale-able in physics one is thermal dynamic vs. mass properties. If you look at every model boat engine on the market, I think they all have water cooled heads. Since this engine was not made for that application, I dunno if I would be willing to risk it. Looking at engines for cars. they use a huge heat sink head designs. Pitting these little engines against a full scale race engine, would not be a fair apples to apples comparison in terms of cooling. There are lots of explanations during and after break in periods that do show a corrolation to fuel/air mixtures and running temps.

Here is one site for ideas.

R/C Airboats.com

Be fore warned... I found the rcairboats link on this page has been redirected to links for the morally exempt by an unscrupulous individual! Sad, very sad! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/mad.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
Ian_Timshel

Re: boat plans for ENYA 90-4C?

Post by Ian_Timshel »

I'm sure Doug will forgive you butting in and I'm pretty sure I'll be honestly offering the both of you thanks for the leg up. Cheers.

My motivation isn't really in airboats. I'm just a gear head that likes them small. I was attracted to this dud four stroke because I liked the sound of it. But it's in a bad way with the valves and guides. The airboat was just the simplest way to make an excuse to own this engine.

I was looking at commercial tools for cutting valve seats after a guide job and wondering if anyone had a nice setup to do small engines they might share.. I suppose I should start another thread for that though so I'll shudup just now.. < g >

The info on the fuel I knew enough of to consider. Your insight and clarity makes your points clear to me. Thanks.

The "36"-45" hull, deep V" sounds right down my alley if I didn't already have a pile of things on the go. I do not like the small two stroke engines so it's going to be tough to sway me in that direction.

The video section is good for those on broadband connections. I'm living in a very remote bit of southern Canada and we'll likely have dial-up until the sun goes super nova. So.. video is out of the question most of the time. ;^) Thanks for the nod though.

Thanks both of you for taking the time to enlighten the newbie.
Cheers! Ian.
Registered Linux user #256502