Weed whacker aircraft dual carb conversion

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Doug_C

Weed whacker aircraft dual carb conversion

Post by Doug_C »

Here is a weed wacker conversion to glow fuel. I did this with staged dual carbs. It works like a primary secondary fuel/air mixture flow.

That is an 18" prop that this charmer will swing at 7800 rpm. Plans are for a friends 1/4 scale Piper Cub.

I made the prop hub adapter, carb adapter, glow plug adapter and prop nut from 7075 T7. The prop washer was the head of a GM intake valve. The engine mount is a stamped metal ash tray. The carbs were purchased random from .90 size engines. As far as I know, it is 28-35cc. Roughly 1.35 cu-in.

When this was test ran, it was about 15 degrees outside. I could not feel my fingers at the time from making carb adjustments in the wind chill factor. While checking the RPM with the digital tach, I got hit a few times with the prop at idle. Didn't feel a thing. I was wondering where that noise was coming from! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Can't wait to see her fly! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
vanace

Re: Weed whacker aircraft dual carb conversion

Post by vanace »

Wow.. cool engine. Would you be willing to make more? I have a few airplanes my self and would be interested. My friend has a BUNCH of airplanes that he needs to finnish and he could use engines like this too becuase it must be cheaper than made for airplane engines [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Vanace
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Strange that you mention HANGER QUEENS and FIREWOOD. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Here is the owner of the above engine.

To busy doing conversions for you and fighting off them plans for some "Marline" engine project to build my own planes! I have plenty more excuses where them come from too! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Besides, I like hand-me-down Bipes and swap meet castoffs. No tears shed when I re-kit them. Hehe! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Welcome to the board VD uh....I mean Vanace. You are right that sure is a cool engine! And it's bout time you said so! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Hi Doug;

Is that engine for a remote control plane or ultralite?
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Hi Jim,

It is for R/C use.

I'd love to get an Ultralight,but I'd have to tell SWMBO that it was a very big R/C airplane. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Besides, knowing how well I fly....I'm safer on the ground! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
chris

Post by chris »

The engine is for a 1/4 scale piper super cub radio control. The wing span is 105" Compared to my supertiger 3000, This engine is a little more powerful, turning the same prop about 200-300 rpm more. The supertiger is claimed to be 3 hp. I plan to put a video camera in the cockpit area too. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

WOW!!!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"