Hit and Miss Ignition

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

RickBarb

Hit and Miss Ignition

Post by RickBarb »

I am getting close to finishing my hit and miss engine and am looking for advice or tips on the ignition system. Specifically what kind of a coil should I use and is it worth my while or time to make my own spark plugs or coil too for that matter.

thanks

Rick
Doug_C

Re: Hit and Miss Ignition

Post by Doug_C »

Hi Rick,

For a single cylinder engine it might be better to just purchase these components.

The spark plugs I have posted here are for a multi cylinder engine. At $12-$25 each I was a bit reluctant to justify that times 5. Even though I had a blast making them, I can see while they get that price.

As for the coils, I do not know if they are the same as the standard Modelectric coils. I see some coils on eBay from time to time going for about $30 and up. There are a few suppliers of new ones that fall in the range of $25 so all it takes is a bit of research.

There was a coil winder article in Strictly IC that explained the process. Not a walk in the park by any means. It did prove that it could be done successfully.

In any of this hobby it will never be a lesson in economics or fiscal responsibility! Let the decision of making your own components follow your desire to learn broader skills or planned efficiency to complete one project to start another.

If you are having fun, who cares about time. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
Dave_S

Post by Dave_S »

I've just gone through a lengthy troubleshooting procedure on my "Little Angel" single-cylinder horizontal hit-n-miss engine (.5" bore x .5" stroke). You can read about it at:

http:\\www.floridaame.org

Per Bob Shores' instructions, I'm using an automotive coil. That said, Bob has written a book on building coils for small engines that is quite the reference guide. I'd say start out with an auto coil, then when you have time/inclination, build yourself a neat little coil.

By the way, I had pulled out the plug last night for cleaning, and I spun the engine with a drill. The spark plug boot was a good 1/2" from the head, yet a huge, blue spark was jumping the gap. Even at 6 volts, I have more spark than I need.

What engine are you building? Post some pictures, please!

Dave S.
GaryHelmick

Post by GaryHelmick »

I have used a coil off a old lawn mower motor. It has worked real well on the Adkinson Cycle Engine I built last year.
I use it with a small motorcycle 6 volt battery.
Good luck have fun.
Gary Helmick