engine conversion, maybe off topic

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

kendall

engine conversion, maybe off topic

Post by kendall »

May be in the wrong area here, but I'm hoping to convert an engine from a vertical shaft to a horizontal shaft, It's a full pressure oil system, not splash type, so I figure that as long as I make sure there is suitable oil pick-up/drain back, it should work out alright.

My plan at present is to extend the oil pickup, drill a few small holes in the side (new bottom) and fab up an external oil pan, haven't opened up the case, but from the kawasaki website it doesn't look as though there is a whole lot of space in the case for oil holding if it were 'sideways'

anyone have ideas, or sites to check out?

Thanks
Ken.
Doug_C

Re: engine conversion, maybe off topic

Post by Doug_C »

Ken,

Although this is for model engines, since your are still making mod's, I don't think this would be so off topic. Some here do mod's to weedeater engines for models etc. There is also a forum here for antique stationary engines, but this may be off topic there too.

A few thoughts to offer in this conversion.

There could be a need to provide adequate cooling for the oil in the new pan and verify any return passages do not include some spash/flush lubrication. When the oil drains in a different path, it may no longer drain, flush or lubricate those points.

Since the casting was designed for vertical shaft support. One other concern might be in the thrust loads put on the crank ends bearing/bushing areas. I don't recall if there was any significant difference, but it may deserve some attention. Some difference in axial verses radial loads, even though a belt drive would be similar on either.

DC
kendall

Post by kendall »

thanks, hadn't considered the drainback as maybe lubing things, But don't think it will cause too much trouble, a friend has pretty much the same engine (same maker, and engine design both kawasaki V's one 17 horse other 19 horse) that he has mounted at the rear of his truck so it sits at slightly over 45degrees, and hasn't had any trouble with it, told hime he'd toast it pretty quick about 3 years ago and it's still going strong, now I need a horizontal shaft motor, and this never run 17 horse has sat on the base of my cherry picker for the last 4 years as nothing more than a counterweight. I think I'll do it and see how it works out, even if it blows up it will still work as a counterweight!

Thanks again
ken
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

even if it blows up it will still work as a counterweight!

Just like water is owned by the state, which must be charged for when there is too much or to little. We must be careful about gravity stored in objects like these. That could become a taxable counterweight since it would still be serving a useful purpose! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]