Edwards 5 Radial Engine

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

IvyMcNeil

Post by IvyMcNeil »

Hi Bob

I dont have photos of setups,but if I get a chance I will try and recreate the setups and take photos for you.

Ivy
Ret. Machinist/Toolmaker

I did not fail, I just found 10,000 ways that wont work.
Paddy O'Sullivan

Post by Paddy O'Sullivan »

Hello Ivy
Excellent work as usual. I haven't got too much done lately, I've been working late a lot but I have made 2 cylinder heads ( and destroyed 2 others !!! ). You can see them here. http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... adial%205/
Did you case harden the crankshaft before grinding ? I have a T&C grinder myself, you can see it at the link, but no powered workhead so I'd have to make some kind of grinding spindle like yours to do it. Machining the crankcase with a rotary table on a vertical mill is pretty straightforward especially if the rotary table is the H/V type. The round bar needs to be a little over 4" to start with. I used a fly cutter to cut the flats. The hardest part for me was boring out the centre of the crankcase on the lathe, I was getting terrible chatter and ringing even with the biggest boring bar I had. Taping heavy solder on the outside helped a bit but I think my lathe is a bit small and worn.
Regards / Paddy.
Paddy O'S.
IvyMcNeil

Post by IvyMcNeil »

Hi Paddy

Thats a nice looking shop you have.
No I did not case harden the crank, I hope I dont regret it later.

Your's is looking good also, dont feel bad about scrapping parts, I scraped a set of cylinders because I used some mystery alum. it was gumy and could not cut fins building up on tool and deforming fins.

Did you notice my I didn't cut .500 slot across cam housing for oil pump, I milled a pocket for it to set in.
I didn't like the looks of that slot .
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Ivy
Ret. Machinist/Toolmaker

IvyMcNeil

Post by IvyMcNeil »

Hi all

I got my tube bending figured out, I heated tube red hot then quench in water, filled with lead, then oiled tube before bending in tube bender.
Here's photo of part.

Ivy
Attachments
intake 2-1.jpg
Ret. Machinist/Toolmaker

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Beautiful job!

I've bent enough tubing to know it's not always an easy chore----especially cosmetically.

What diameter is the tubing?

Harold
IvyMcNeil

Post by IvyMcNeil »

Hi Harold
The tubing is 9/32 O.D. I still have a small wrinkle in one area, If I cant get it out it wont be a big deal.

Ivy
Ret. Machinist/Toolmaker

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Can't be too serious-----the piece in the pic looks great!

Thanks for the response.

Harold
deere_x475guy

Post by deere_x475guy »

Hi gang, it's been awhile since I have been on. Summer outdoors stuff..you know.

Anyway Ivy or Paddy have either of you machined the cam yet? I didn't get around to starting my engine and thought maybe I would start with this first.

Have fun gang...
Bob
Bob
Links To pics of shop and projects
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Deere_X475guy/Machine%20Shop/
IvyMcNeil

Post by IvyMcNeil »

Hi Bob

My Radial has been on hold for the last 3 Months, I have been tooling up and building 4 belt drive reduction units. I hope I can get back to it soon.
I will start on the Cam or the rings next.

Here's a photo of reduction units, they are for large scale R/C model aircraft.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/i ... G62/x3.jpg

Ivy McNeil
Ret. Machinist/Toolmaker

deere_x475guy

Post by deere_x475guy »

Hey Ivy great job on those I did read the thread. I think you should be able to make yourself a little side money making those.:)

I have the metal for the cam chucked in the lathed and faced off now. This is the part that spooked me the most so I am going to start with it. If it was meant to be it was...if not then it wasn't...but I am going to give her a heck of a try.
Bob
Links To pics of shop and projects
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Deere_X475guy/Machine%20Shop/
Paddy O'Sullivan

Post by Paddy O'Sullivan »

Hello all,
I finally got around to doing some more parts. I've made the master rod and fitted the valve guides to the cylinder heads. No prize for spotting the cylinder head with the 2-56 tap broken in it ! I tried making 2 valves but made scrap of them while cutting the grooves for the collets. I've also made a clutched tailstock die holder from a Hemingway kit I bought while at the Midlands Model Engineering exhibition in the UK. You can see them here http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q296 ... adial%205/
Ivy, I think your engine must be running by now ?
Paddy.
Paddy O'S.
jimtaylor

Post by jimtaylor »

Hi All,

I am a new member and am in the early stage of constructing the Edwards Radial 5. So far I have the crankcase done and am working on the cam. I enjoy all the great info.