Alloy substitution recomendation

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Mcgyver

Alloy substitution recomendation

Post by Mcgyver »

the resurfacing of the Whittle V8 article has resurrected an interest i've had in this project since i first saw those issues.

various alloys of steel and AL are recommended. Through the net I've found what i think are equivalents, but they don;t seem to be readily available alloys. I'm looking for opinions on how good you think my suggested substitutes are, or should i keep looking until i get the 'equivalent'. because it's just a model, picking the alloy is not a safety issue, but still i want it to run well and last.

original possible possible
equivalent substitute???
HE30 AL ----> 6082 ----> 6061
HE15 AL ----> 2014 ----> 2024
EN16T (annealed) ----> 4037 ----> 4130

what do you guys think - would you be comfortable proceeding with my substitutes or is the original material recommendation substantially superior? thanks
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Your choices are very good-----no need to go nuts trying to buy materials that may not be available. Some of those designations make no sense at all----so they very well may not be made in all countries, which I expect to be the case.

Harold
Mcgyver

Post by Mcgyver »

thanks Harold!

material ordered. estimated time to make it to the top of the workshop priority list: 15 years. those CI sticks for piston rings will be well seasoned by then