12l14 steel and piston rings

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

T.L.A.R. eng

Post by T.L.A.R. eng »

I have done a lot of searching in the forums for an answer on using 12l14 steel for cylinders with 6061 pistons and cast iron rings. I have seen answers from absolutely won't work to yeh, use it all the time. All the information seems to be divided about 50/50.
Can anyone tell me from experience?
I am building a Kinner K-5 radial and the cylinders are of 12l14, but then in fine print the fellow says to have them flash chromed. The engine isn't going to be flown or run alot. Will this combination work without the chroming?
This engine uses steel cylinders originally instead of using iron sleeves in aluminum, so I kinda like to keep it looking original with steel cylinders.
I have allready made the 5 cylinders from 12l14 and the thought of remaking all those fins with a harder steel is intimidating and rather depressing.
If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough.
jones

Post by jones »

Hey T.L.A.R eng,

I don't see any reason why it won't work, I am building an Upshur engine at the moment using 1018 steel for the cylinders. I think as long as you lap the cylinder to the proper finish, make the rings and piston properly it should work. I was going to use 12l14 but needed 1" dia and only had .875" (I hate it when that happens), also I was very excited about starting the engine.

I really cannot see ANY reason why steel wouldn't work, but then I am just starting out and don't know very much.
Can anyone tell me from experience?
Just read that part...
Andrew
T.L.A.R. eng

Post by T.L.A.R. eng »

Hi Jones, never assume you don't know much because there aren't a whole lot of people that have the knowledge or patience to build an engine from start to finish. I have heard a lot of opinions and beliefs, but I am looking for someone who has used this combination and run the engine for a while.

What Upshur engine are you building?
If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough.
jones

Post by jones »

I am building the horizontal hopper cooled farm engine, and I am going to put either the throttling carburetor on it or the hit and miss governor, I'm not sure yet. I like the idea of being able to control the speed of the engine.
Andrew
RAN

Re: 12l14 steel and piston rings

Post by RAN »

The famous Hodgson radials use exactly that recipe; 12L14 cylinders, 6061 pistons, cast iron rings.
http://www.agelessengines.com/default.htm

Lee Hodgson says that cylinder wear is absolutely not a problem.

RWO