Started the Edwards Radial 5 (finally)

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

deere_x475guy

Started the Edwards Radial 5 (finally)

Post by deere_x475guy »

Hi gang, just thought I would share a few pics on this build. I intended to start this project last spring....how does the saying go???? Best intentions blah blah blah....:)

The cam seemed to be my hang up so I thought what ta heck....if I can get this thing done I can get the rest done. I expect at my pace this build will go on for quite awhile. I seem to have ADD with projects. I have two air/steam engines in different states of build, this one I am starting and an IC engine I am studying the plans on....ugh...anyone else suffer from this?????????

Anyway here a some pics.

Well the outer machining is finished to final dimensions. Hopefully this weekend I will bore thru center and do the counter bore for this side. Then I will cut the part off in the bandsaw and mount the 1"dia in my 5C collet and finish the other side. Then off to the mill for other steps.
Bob
Links To pics of shop and projects
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Deere_X475guy/Machine%20Shop/
Ken_Shea

Post by Ken_Shea »

"I intended to start this project last spring"

Well you gat started pretty fast then :D

What engine is it ?

On my project the cam seems also to be my least confident part, these have gears as well.

The DRO on my mill is invaluable, your opinion on the lathe DRO?

Ken
IvyMcNeil

Post by IvyMcNeil »

Hi deere_x475guy

The cam is looking good, I have a suggestion about the bearings for the cam.
The bearings B2 {.375 x .875 x .218} listed in the bill of materials from Boca bearings are 22.00 dollars each.

I am going to use .281 wide bearing and c bore cam to same.
this size bearing is about 1/3 the cost.

Ivy McNeil
Ret. Machinist/Toolmaker

I did not fail, I just found 10,000 ways that wont work.