Odds 'n Ends anyone?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

lugnut

Odds 'n Ends anyone?

Post by lugnut »

I'm new here and was wondering if anyone is building or has built the "Odds 'n Ends Hit 'n Miss" engine from The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos? I have started it and have the frame, water jacket, cylinder, bearing blocks and one of the flywheels almost complete. Would like to talk to someone who has worked on one.
Thanks
Mel
lugnut

Any one?

Post by lugnut »

I am totally surprised that some one here has not worked on one of these little engines(Odds and Ends Hit and Mill). May be they have and are not happy with they're results. That would not be a big deal if they could get some help in fixing the problems they was having. But who would know if they don't speak out and and share their experiences. I'm nearly done with mine and been having a ball building it. This little engine will teach you a lot about home shop machining. Come on some one speak up!
Mel
knucklepin

Post by knucklepin »

Mel:

Since you're on the Oregon coast, are you going to attend the GEARS show (Portland, Aug 30-31)? It seems to me there are at least two or three examples of the Odd Ball engines displayed there. Maybe you are already an exhibitor but if not, maybe you would like to try it.

Over the past 6 or 7 years, I've not heard of any complaints regarding Philip Duclos' designs. Most readers have been completely satisfied.

Neil
Lane

Post by Lane »

What seems to be the problem. I built the engine when it was first published and have also built one 1 1/2 times bigger and helped my buddie build one also and a larger one too.
Every Mans Work Is A Portrait Of Him Self
www.cp-tel.net/mary/mary-index.htm
myrickmachine

Odds and ends engine- something different

Post by myrickmachine »

This was made from an old O+S steam frame missing the cylinder- I fabbed all the valve gearing from castings I had made. The cylinder is mild steel welded together. Made my own design piston. The valve gearing came from Gardner Hiscox book, "Gas, Gasoline and Oil Engines, 1909 ed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srOMx_OArng mechanism for 4 cycle ops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPTtiTCesQY engine running
Attachments
hiscoxpix.jpg