New member says hello

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

sorveltaja

New member says hello

Post by sorveltaja »

I've been doing different machinings on a small lathe and mill every now and then. My previous project was Ringbom-type stirling engine.
It succeeded so well, that I started to look for more challenge.

After seeing pictures of George Luhrs' engines at http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Luhrs.htm , I had to start to build as small four-stroke engine as I can.

I choose to build smaller version of Webster http://home.comcast.net/~webster_engines/ , because it seems to be simple enough for my first IC-engine project.

So far there hasn't been too big problems on building it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Welcome to the forum, sorveltaja.

When you have enough progress to warrant a few pictures, please post them for all of us to see.

It might be interesting to hear the size (bore and stroke) of the engine in question, considering your comment of building even smaller than the example.

Harold
sorveltaja

Post by sorveltaja »

Thanks, I've made some progression on the engine, and have some pictures too.

In fact, I have 'work in progress' topic on the other forum about it, and instead of linking it here, I'll rather make a new topic here for it.
rickguenot2

Webster Engine

Post by rickguenot2 »

I too have started a Webster engine. It is a fun project and the only change that I made was to increase the size of the valve stems from 3/32 to 1/8 for ease of machining. Also I used a 2 piece valve assembly, 1/8 drill rod with the valve head cut from steel and silver brazed to the drill rod and cleaned up on the lathe. This is much more simple then trying to turn small drill rod between centers. I should be ready to run next week. Hope that helps a little.