Old Villiers Engine

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

terry_g

Old Villiers Engine

Post by terry_g »

I inherited this old Villiers Engine from my Grand Father He was a trapper in Manitoba in the 1930s.
I have searched the internet and not been able to find much information on it.
The carburettor is not a venturi type it uses a spring loaded disc to create vacuum, when you close the choke a second spring loaded disc comes into play in series creating a larger vacuum. If you remove the spun aluminium cover from the flywheel the Villiers magneto is exposed. There is a spring loaded brass weight in a groove in the centre of the cam that actuates the points that acts as a governor, making the points stay open when governed speed is reached.There is no throttle butterfly valve it runs wide open. When it's running you can stall it with finger pressure on the flywheel, fractional horse power I guess.
If you remove the pulley from the flywheel there is a nut with a large flange that is captive in the flywheel that acts as a puller to remove the flywheel.

I have not ran it in a few years but last time it ran great.

If anyone could give me an idea of it's age or any info at all it would be greatly appreciated.

Terry