Photo Galleries

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JackF

Photo Galleries

Post by JackF »

Let' see some photos of some engines completed. Maybe even some project journals.

Jack.
CB&Q

Re: Photo Galleries

Post by CB&Q »

Sure! How's this?

One can derive far more personal pleasure and reward from observing Mother Nature's living things instead of Humanity's Madness.....
CB&Q

Post by CB&Q »

Or this?

One can derive far more personal pleasure and reward from observing Mother Nature's living things instead of Humanity's Madness.....
CB&Q

Post by CB&Q »

And finally, I almost ashamedly submit my own nearly-completed example!

JackF

Post by JackF »

CB&Q,

Thanks for your reply, those photos are great. When I was growing up in the Bay Area in the early 50s some of these full sized behemoths were still running the Southern Pacific line two blocks from our house near S. F., although most were Diesel electrics. I am now a member of a group of guys who meet monthly at the old Seattle Georgetown Steam Plant to display Model I.C and Steam engines. Every now and then the Gal who maintains and operates the Steam Plant as a museum fires up one of the big steam engines that ran the generators. What a sight to see and feel as that engine starts to rotate the huge 10' flywheel. If you want to retain what hearing you have left it is a good idea to bring ear plugs for the occasion. Another group of Guys and Gals meet on the same grounds on the same day to run and display Model Steam Locomotives. Most are store bought but some are made in the home shop. They even have one that is near the size of the one I remember at Flieshacker (sp) Zoo in Golden Gate Park in S.F. that you could ride on. This one at the Steam Plant actually uses coal for the fire. Thanks for the memories. :D

Jack.
CB&Q

Post by CB&Q »

And thank you for your reply! I sought to generate some interest in your post, seeing no replies to it. If you recall the monsters in the 50s, you are surely in my category, having grown up with the 3-track mainline of Chicago Burlington & Quincy RR cutting right through my hometown outside Chicago.

I remain at a loss to understand just how the guys here are able to detail their locomotives to such extent, and do it in one lifetime! I have close to 10,000 hours in mine now.......

Regards, Steve
JackF

Post by JackF »

Steve,

I'm with you in amazement at the time spent and the workmanship involved in creating the models of those steam engines. Sadly these big steam engines were gone by the time I started riding the S.P. commute train from Sunnyvale to S.F. but they were still using some of the old Pullman cars on that line. It's been 40+ years since I rode that train and I don't know if they still do it this way but when you flushed the toilet on one of those Pullmans you could see the ties going by through the open hole. I'm sure kids still do this today but we used to put pennies, nickels and if we felt rich, dimes on the track when we saw a train coming and then hoped we could find them after the train passed. :lol:

Jack.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Steve,

Forgot to mention the guys in live steam would surely love to see the Steam engine pics.

Jack.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Now my face is really red, I see you are very active on the steam side.

Jack.
CB&Q

Red Face?

Post by CB&Q »

Ya got nuthin' on me! I was "railroaded" out of another live steam forum for my candidness, up-front hide-little philosophy, didn't cuss, "flame" (whatever that is, just questioned Mod's authority a bit.

So, I have been careful here, not to nit-pick, get over-zealous, and so on. It helped a lot to get on the Mod's "good side" (sorry, Harold!, had to say it!).

It hurts, sometimes, to be a stubborn, cantankerous old man...............
Harold_V

Re: Red Face?

Post by Harold_V »

CB&Q wrote:Ya got nuthin' on me! I was "railroaded" out of another live steam forum for my candidness, up-front hide-little philosophy, didn't cuss, "flame" (whatever that is, just questioned Mod's authority a bit.

So, I have been careful here, not to nit-pick, get over-zealous, and so on. It helped a lot to get on the Mod's "good side" (sorry, Harold!, had to say it!).

It hurts, sometimes, to be a stubborn, cantankerous old man...............
There's a big difference between copping an attitude and trying to cooperate when there's a problem. You have been cooperative from day one---which I truly appreciate.

Good side?

Yeah, I consider you a friend. No need to be sorry. :wink:

Jack (my co-moderator) is a great guy! You'd like him :!:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Crankcase together (Packard Merlin V-12)

Cylinder bank going down

Rolled over with Kay working away on it (Kay's not very big, but the engine is!)

Back upright nearing completion

All 14,000 parts holding hands and ready to go....

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!