Photo Galleries

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JackF

Re: Photo Galleries

Post by JackF »

Holy cow Glen,

Thanks for sharing. That is some piece of work. Forgive my ignorance but is that a scale model or full size. It looks like it could power a full size hydroplane. :lol:

Jack.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Hello Jack,

It's the full size real deal. :)
Last edited by GlennW on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Now you've got me wondering, into what are you going to install that thing?

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Hey! I haven't seen one of those Merlins since we tried tobuy a surplus patrol boat in the 70's! We passed because of the AV GAS needed to run it, and the fuel scare going on. They reportedly need a soft touch to keep one in tune and tight, I never got to pull a wrench on one. They are simply an amazing machine.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

JackF wrote:Now you've got me wondering, into what are you going to install that thing?
Jack,

I installed it in the owners truck bed! :)

Dave,

I believe you are referring to the 4M-2500 Packard marine engine that was in the Higgins PT boats. Different animal.

http://www.ptboats.org/20-01-05-ptboat-008.html
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Glen,

I could half way see that one coming. :mrgreen:

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Duh! my bad. It was neither! It was Allison made in the mid 60's. The boat was an aluminum hull used as a Radar picket boat, (survellance) and was short of 50 ft. It had very roomy accamodations, and we were planning on using it for a dive boat. The fact that it had a 1K fuel bunker in the keel, put a damper on the enthusiasm. I only laid eyes on the running engines once, when we test ran it. Boy was it fast. On low cruise it only consumed 16-18 gal per hour, but push the throttles and its about 50. In 72 it was in private hands, and passed to a boat yard, that pulled the engines for the new owner and installed diesels of his choice. Short story long, it never got on plane with that arrangement, and last I heard another yard had the engineless Hull (k) with no buyers or lookers. The boat was Ugly compared to a sleek design like Cigarette, so it was probably scrapped for the metal value.

We got a bargain 40 ft fishing tug, that turtled through the water, and did diving off of that for a while, til the playboy owner went bust with his Dive shop. Too much play, and not enough pay.

At any rate, that is a magnificent piece of engine. I still would want to know what it went into. I can almost hear the roar now.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Big Dave,

Glen informed me it is in a P- 51 Mustang.

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Wow, another rare bird. Had an uncle that flew 51's at the end of the Great war. He loved them. He awed me with his tales when I was young 10-12 yr old. Sadly he left the family about that time, I dont remember where his Grave is. That would have been mid 60's.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Here's another one I finished up last year.

Glenn

JackF

Post by JackF »

Good golly Miss Molly,

Glen, I should have been paying better attention. :shock: I had no idea you were into this kind of stuff. I can't believe this is just a hobby with you. How long have you been rebuilding these monsters?

Jack.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I've been doing it for a while. I graduated from Hot Rods.
Glenn