Photo Galleries

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Photo Galleries

Post by GlennW »

JackF wrote: You must be quite proud to be still working on those beautiful machines.
Yes, they are awsome pieces of engineering/history...

The best is always last...

Gotta make sure it runs OK before the customer gets it back! :D :D

View from the pointy end.

Pretty slick little critters...

Risking my life, again. Probably just about over "steamin10's" house when this was taken.

Tough day at work...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Mmfh

Post by Mmfh »

Wow Glen,

I've been rebuilding engines for a living all my life and I have yet to run across a engine anything like those Rolls engines. I'm impressed with the work you are doing. I think I will actually spend some time reading about these engines.

One thing that always gets me is how well things were made back in the day. It really is when machinists were true machinists!

Thanks very much for posting those great pictures! The best part of doing engines has always been the test drive, I can't imagine flying like you are doing instead of going on the road or water like I've always done.

Nice!

Mm
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Glenn Wegman wrote:Tough day at work...
Sigh!

You have to take the bitter with the sweet, Glenn. :lol:

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Harold_V wrote: Sigh!

You have to take the bitter with the sweet, Glenn. :lol:
Ditto !

I sure enjoy the pics , Glen . Altho , not in the same league , had a neighbor that had a Chris - Craft 21' inboard w/ a straight 6 Packard in it .That was many years ago , but I remembered it would pull 10 skiers behind it . Those racing boats are kool !
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

coal miner kindly sent this to me the other day. Thanks!!

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
gcarsen

Post by gcarsen »

Thank you for sharing the Video!!!!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Speaking of Rolls Royce, here is a 1937 model a client has in his garage.
IMAG0383.jpg
IMAG0384.jpg
He says it weighs some 6k+ pounds. It even has a jack in each corner that is operated from a hand pump, under a panel in the driver compartment. The frame is made of wood. It made it to the U.S. via a German soldier that had moved to Vancouver B.C. from which he bought the car.
He sold his Bently and bought this.
Really decent guy and his wife is a hoot to talk to. :)

Another reason I love my job.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Don't know if this is true or not, but a friend of mine who was a Rolls admirer many years ago told me that the Rolls engine had tolerances so close that you could turn the ignition off in the evening and in the morning could turn the ignition back on and unspent fuel in a cylinder would fire and restart the engine. Like I said, I don't know if this is true but it makes for a good story. :shock: :wink: :D

Jack.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Just had to revive this thread it is so amazing. :D Thanks Glen for linking to this thread. :D :D

BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to comment on my last post here in 2012. :wink: :lol:

Jack.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Ok, I'll bite.
I think it makes a great story, but has little in substance in regards to truth. If for no other reason, unless there is movement of the crank, there's no reason for a spark. Without a spark, there is no reason for combustion.

That may not be true if the ignition system has a vibrator, and there's constant spark at the plug, but I expect that isn't the case.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Harold for the responce. Good point, and I am leaning that way too. I keep wondering though that back then, I heard this story in the mid 60s, and it was in reference to classic Rolls which I am pretty sure were using battery and point ignition with a condenser. Condensers store the electric charge and release the charge when the points close(?). Is there a scenario where the cap has a charge and the turning on of the ignition can complete the circuit thus causing a spark? I know it doesn't sound likely but it still runs around in my head :roll: :wink: :lol:

In any case, the main purpose of reviving this great thread was to maybe expose Glens amazing craftsmanship to some new eyes. :D :D

Jack.