Making Progress on My latest effort.

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

GlennW

Re: Making Progress on My latest effort.

Post by GlennW »

That is excellent!

Thank you for sharing it with us!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice!

How does it run, and what do you use for fuel?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Great job, well done.

Jack.
thegallery

Post by thegallery »

Well the engine started without any much work. I had to adjust the exhaust valve timing a bit. The one problem is the sensitivity of the jet in the carburetor. I am using Coleman fuel. Any suggestion on improving the carb? It has very good flow and and fuel draw, but I seem to have to adjust the jet all the time. I got the ignition system form S/S Machine & Engineering LLC and it works great. Every easy to install. It uses a Hall sensor.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

thegallery wrote: Any suggestion on improving the carb?
Certainly not from me, considering I have no experience with them aside from years ago, on automobiles.

Thanks for sharing your project with us.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
thegallery

Post by thegallery »

I got the engine up and running without much work. I had to adjust the timing a bit and now it runs great. One problem. I am using Coleman fuel. It seems to have contamination in it. I got it at Walmart. This causes the carb jet to be very sensitive. What is the best fuel? The engine has excellent air flow through the carb. Any suggestions?
thegallery

Post by thegallery »

Here is a video clip of the engine. It takes a few minutes to load. http://www.thekilmerplace.com/engine.AVI
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Excellent job ! Lots of planning and good detail . A couple of questions . Did you make the crankshaft 1 piece ? If so , what procedure ? It really looks good . I am in the process of building a Jerry Howell " Farm Boy " hit or miss and it has a crank design like yours . Have thought out several ways , but haven't come up with anything that seems right, yet . Probably offset turn it . Did you cut your own gears ? I'm going to try it and see what happens . Will be a learning process for me , for sure . I have already built the Webster engine and it took some time for the ignition to work out .
One thing Mr. Howell talks about is the Hall Sensor for ignition and the use of methanol as a fuel . That might help out on you flow prob , don't know . After starting one if these projects , I find that in making the parts to spec. is a big challenge , so the scrap rejects have been higher ! LOL . It seems that the last op I do always screws up . Still learning how to hit tenths .
I liked your video and hearing it run , thanks . I can remember as a kid listening to the old hit or miss that were set up on the oil wells around here . That was a long time ago .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
thegallery

Post by thegallery »

I made the crank out of HR 5/8 x 2 flat bar. Machined one edge flat on the mill to use as a reference. Using that as a ref I center drill the both ends for the connecting rod and main. Then I ruff milling the metal out of the crank journal. I the use the edge and side as ref and dialed in the crank on a four jaw independent chuck and used the drilled center point as out board support. I ground a cut off tool and carefully cut and lapped the journal. I then did the same with the main journals. We used the John Deer hit & miss engine as a utility engine out on the prairies of Minnesota where I grew up.
scooterwrench

Post by scooterwrench »

Did you incorporate a float bowl on your carb? Where is the nozzle in relation to the venturi?
What is your jet size? How much taper is on your needle and thread pitch and do you have a packing around it? I've found that hit and miss engines tend to like a rich mixture. Coleman fuel is very pure unleaded gasoline and should be a good fuel for it. A little Marvel Mystery Oil would be good for top cylinder lubrication as Coleman fuel is quite dry. Bout 1/2 oz. per gallon would be fine. J.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

thegallery,

Very nice indeed. :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.