Seattle Steam Plant

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JackF

Seattle Steam Plant

Post by JackF »

A group of guys (an informal group) meets monthly at the old Seattle George town steam plant to show off their latest model engine build. Most engines are I/C; Hit and Miss, 4 cycle, 2 cycle and one guy is starting work on a compression ignition engine. Some steam, and Hot air engines often are displayed. Today I took some pics. Enjoy!

Jack.
Attachments
The flash stopped the flywheel but this engine was running
The flash stopped the flywheel but this engine was running
Same here
Same here
This steam engine was running on compressed air. No castings here, all from scratch.
This steam engine was running on compressed air. No castings here, all from scratch.
More Hit and Miss.jpg
Another Hit and Miss.jpg
tapkoote

Re: Seattle Steam Plant

Post by tapkoote »

Is it an open meeting?
would like to see the models.
Live south of Seattle, near Cropleys old place in Top Hat.
Pat
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Pat,

Yes, it is a open meeting, open to one and all. The meetings are stopped for the summer due to many going on vacation but open up again on the second Saturday in Sept. and are held every second Sat. after that with the last one for the year being in May. The May one is a nice picnic usually with some form of entertainment. Hope to see you Sept. :D

Jack.

P.S. Model Railroaders also meet there on the same day and display and run their models outside.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

its been a few years but is this near the old gas pumping plant on the north side of the bay??
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Pat,

No, it is at the north end of. Boeing Field. I will pm you later with the directions, or if there is more interest I will do it here.

Jack.
tapkoote

Post by tapkoote »

Jack
I'll be there
I was thinking the coal fired plant, but it's private now.
wikapedia has quite a write up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgetown_Steam_Plant
Thanks Pat
JackF

Post by JackF »

Sorry Hammer,

I need to look at the poster name before answering. :oops: :D

Jack.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

all that money on conseling, oh well. i spent a part of the day at the gas plant years ago, really facinated with what i took to be the pumping engines.

all good for sure :D
JackF

Post by JackF »

The given addresses I find for the Steam Plant aren't correct for finding the place. Do a Mapquest for E. Marginal Way S. and Ellis Ave. S. Seattle. Once on Ellis Ave. S. go a few blocks to S. Warsaw St. Turn right there and stay to the left and go by the shop building on your left untill you come to the fence bordering the Boeing Field runway, follow the fence to your right to the gate entering the Steam Plant grounds. If the gate isn't open yet you are a bit early. The gate usually opens by 10:00 but some times the gate opener is a little late. :wink: Find a place to park and come on into the Steam Plant. :D If anyone finds these directions puzzling, PM me.

Jack.