vintage motorcycle engines?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Bruce

vintage motorcycle engines?

Post by Bruce »

Anybody out there making vintage style (20s era)four stroke motorcycle engines?
ken572

Re: vintage motorcycle engines?

Post by ken572 »

Bruce,

Checkout The 1906 ebook, attached below.
Whoop's to big to attach here. :roll:
PM me and I will attach it to a your regular email if
you will send me your email address.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Is this about full sized engines or leetle ones? I've been harboring ambitions to build fullsized 20's era motorcycle.. Information is scarce.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i he builds one we will never get any sleep varooooooom bap bap bap
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

hammermill wrote:i he builds one we will never get any sleep varooooooom bap bap bap
It would be awesome to build every major part of a fully functional ,full sized motorcycle as they were in the 1920s. Doubt I'll ever do it myself but I been chewing on that ambition since late 2003...I keep hoping to see somebody else do it..It'd be a monstrous amount of work.
dly31

Post by dly31 »

alphawolf45 wrote:
hammermill wrote:i he builds one we will never get any sleep varooooooom bap bap bap
It would be awesome to build every major part of a fully functional ,full sized motorcycle as they were in the 1920s. Doubt I'll ever do it myself but I been chewing on that ambition since late 2003...I keep hoping to see somebody else do it..It'd be a monstrous amount of work.
I agree that it would be quite a job but a lot of people did it back then. It is amazing how many different motorcycles and automobiles were built, many of them only in very limited numbers. I think many manufacturers in those days probably started as one person building one machine. Someone has actually built a reproduction Vincent Black Shadow at a slightly reduced scale.
Don Young
Doug4d3s

Post by Doug4d3s »

As of maybe a year ago, there was two places in the USA building 1900-1930 motorcycle reproductions.
One of them is this one-
http://www.vintagemotorcyclereproductions.com/
the other one is here-
http://www.timelessmotorcompany.com/home.html

There's lots of places that make replicas with bicycle frames and bicycle kit engines for a few hundred bucks, but these two do full mechanical reproductions that cost $10,000+.

This is another single example that was big news at the time. I don't think he normally turns these things out though. He only built one, and he didn't have complete info so some of it is guesswork.
http://www.flashbackfab.com/pages/excel00.html

There's also a couple places that make some repro parts castings and do rebuild work, but I don't think they turn out complete cycles from scratch.

Vintage cycles can still be registered & street-legal, but these are not (at least in the US) because they're current manufacture. If you began with a vintage frame you might be able to get around that problem however.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Everybody thanks, but let's keep this thread going. The Flashback fabrication link was very fascinating. Check it out above in doug's reply.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

the flashback project photo set is almost more than one can asorb at one time.

but one the other hand i learned a lot

ken thanks for the book file i will print it out slightly oversized to adjust for old eyes

and see how stuff compares to the marsh in hand. neat stuff guys
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

Doug4d3s wrote:
Vintage cycles can still be registered & street-legal, but these are not (at least in the US) because they're current manufacture. If you began with a vintage frame you might be able to get around that problem however.

Thats all completely fascinating stuff.Has me all excited..Would like to see one of you guys build one at home..As for legal or not, well some of those small ones are no more than mopeds that do not require registration in some states.....My concern would be for safety since strictly vintage replica would be slow to accelerate by todays standards and no turn signals and inefficient brakes ..I would not head out into traffic on one of them, registered or not....But it'd be a hoot to putter the back streets over to favorite hangout and show ones handiwork to friends who cant even change a tire...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

This one may be a bit tricky to operate in traffic!

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

glen what are we seeing for a power plant i was thrown off by the burning paper???