More Farm Boy pics

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

coal miner

More Farm Boy pics

Post by coal miner »

Haven't posted in awhile on the Farm boy hit or miss engine . I will say one thing about Mr . Howell's drawings and designs . They are first class and if you make the part to print , it will fit . I would encourage any one to make one of his engines , a pleasure to work from his plans .
Cutting the tapers on the flywheels was intimidating to me , an awful lot of time in them and sure didn't want to screw up . Did several dry runs in my mind to get a proper procedure that I was comfortable with .The flywheel taper and the taper- loc bushings were done with the compound swung to the 6º setting indicated in the print . Had already had 2 stub shafts roughed out for the bushings , so all I had to do was dial in the centers of the flywheels . A little tricky getting the cast iron to cut properly , but purchased some C-2 carbide tooling and cut the taper on both of them . Put in the ER-40 collet chuck and mounted the stubs that were already turned to OD size and drilled and reamed to ID dims .

Cutting the taper with the lath running in reverse so the stubs would be cut in forward , that way I didn't have to disturb the compound and both pieces would be cut at the same setting. Don't know if this was proper , but worked great and produced an excellent fit .

Cut them off of the stubs and all that had to be done was drill the 3 bolt holes and the 2 threaded puller holes and split them . In the past I had used taper-locs on a lot of machinery at the mine , but nothing as small as these !

The drip oiler for the cylinder and wrist pin .

That's a .040" hole in the metering rod . Nothing that small in the 1-60 drill index but had some oxy-acet tip cleaning drills and found one that would work .

Head assem. and mixing fuel valve .

View of the crankshaft asem.

Gearing and hit or miss governor controls .

Electronics for the Hall effect ignition .

First assembly of the engine .

I still have to build the fuel tank and test run . Hope it starts LOL .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
GlennW

Re: More Farm Boy pics

Post by GlennW »

Anything that well done has to start and run!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Nice!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Needed a fuel tank for the Farm Boy engine . Saw one on the net that a guy had designed and really liked it . The ends where mineral glass so one could see the fuel level and the fill and supply was positioned on top . I made a stand so it could be positioned on the base with the engine . 1 3/8" hex brass and 3/8" fill and 5/16" supply . 2-56 shcs for the end caps . Bored the id then counterbored the end for the glass and sliced off and did the same for the other end . Then bored the counterbore on one end and the od relief , cut it off the stock . Went to the mill and dialed in the two ends together and drilled the 6 hole clearance pattern . Same thing on the body except the holes where for the 2-56 tap size . Flipped the piece and bored the counter bore and drilled the 6 holes to be tapped . Really watched my setups closely . As you said Harold , " trust the dials " , and they came out good . Actually right on the money . You know what they say about a blind hog . I think I just got lucky , but was pleased with the outcome .

Now to get everything together and sort out the ignition and timing and see if it will run . Mr. Howell recommends acetone for fuel . What kind of clear fuel line will work . Tried some fuel line for weed eaters , chain saws , and such , but it softened so unless I can come up with something else I might have use methanol .
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

coal miner wrote:Really watched my setups closely . As you said Harold , " trust the dials " , and they came out good . Actually right on the money . You know what they say about a blind hog . I think I just got lucky , but was pleased with the outcome .
Nope! Not lucky! That's the reward for using good shop practice. The lesson some never learn.

Congrats! Your workmanship is very nice.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steamin

Post by Steamin »

coal miner wrote:What kind of clear fuel line will work.
Suggest checking out the fuel lines used by the model R.C. guys (planes, cars). They run an alcohol mix in their engines. Silicone-based instead of plastic, I think.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Thank you for your nice comment Harold . In my former career , my work was all predicated on production and keeping the stripping machines at the coal mine in operation . After retirement I followed my desire to learn machining and soon realised that the " hurry up and get it back in the dig " does not apply to this hobby , which is what it is , and the only person I had to answer to was myself . I learn something every day I spend in the shop and will never approach to being a machinist in the job shop atmosphere , but with the help and advice given to me by learned people on this board , I find that my skills have improved significantly . That means less scrap . The challenges of thinking the job thru and making the part to print is something that cannot be rushed , so I'm slow in my endeavors . A couple of years ago I didn't even know what rake on a tool bit was ,thanks to all who have given advice !
Steamin wrote: Silicone-based instead of plastic, I think.
Good lead , I think it will be perfect for this application . Thanks .
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Steamin wrote:
Suggest checking out the fuel lines used by the model R.C. guys (planes, cars). They run an alcohol mix in their engines. Silicone-based instead of plastic, I think.
For anyone interested . Went to a local RC shop/ raceway and purchased some 3 mm id silicone fuel line and did a 24 hr test emersed in acetone and found no degradation of the line . I think this stuff will be good for any exotic type of fluid transfer .$ 1.00/ foot . Can't complain about the cost , bought 2 ft. for other projects .
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Have you got it running yet? Looks like a real nice engine :)
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Nudge wrote:Have you got it running yet? Looks like a real nice engine
Gave it a go ,but have some remakes to do . Another gear needs to be made for the magnet that was mounted wrong . Also some other issues have happened to slow my time spent in the shop . Things are on the mend and have some projects that are pressing to be completed first .

Les_S

Post by Les_S »

Very nice!
Thank you very much for posting your pictures and describing your build. It inspired me to order the plans and have a go at it myself. I'm sure this project will require skills way above my current competence level but I figure even if I fail miserably the lessons learned will be invaluable. Should I be successful I hope my engine looks as nice as yours!
Les
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

coal miner wrote: Cutting the taper with the lath running in reverse so the stubs would be cut in forward , that way I didn't have to disturb the compound and both pieces would be cut at the same setting. Don't know if this was proper , but worked great and produced an excellent fit .
I suspect that is EXACTLY the way to do it.

Steve