Snow engines

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

swatson144

Snow engines

Post by swatson144 »

I just placed a couple pictures on the web page http://www.totallyscrewedmachineshop.com/gallery.htm if there is any interest. It was my friends family's before it was donated.

Teaser

Steve
GlennW

Re: Snow engines

Post by GlennW »

There is one about a two hour drive from me that I visit and watch run about once a year. It's a single, not a double though.

REALLY cool to watch and listen to. :D

It's difficult to get a decent pic of one due to it's size!

They missed a word on the sign below, as it is a tandem double acting engine.
Attachments
P2230007.JPG
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
swatson144

Post by swatson144 »

My understanding is that this had one as an engine and one as a compressor for pumping natural gas to the great lakes area. I could be wrong but I know that was it's purpose and I see no other way of pumping gas attached to it.

Steve
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The pumps are on the far end in your pic with the white pipes attached to them. I believe those pipes are the inlet, and the outlet faces straight out the back.

It's an in line piston type pump.

I don't have a pic of that end of the engine, but I would bet that my wife has one somewhere. She thinks that's the coolest engine on the planet! (next to a Merlin :wink: )
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

This one begins with a view of the pump, which says SNOW on it. It's very small in comparison to the engine.

Here's a whole herd of them running.

Glenn