Sportster rebuild.

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Patio

Re: Sportster rebuild.

Post by Patio »

Still no pictures.
I replaced the clutches with a different setup and it is working now. I put about 15 miles on it today. :)
Now I am doing some tweaking of things to get it to handle better.

More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Good news all around. :D

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

See everyone in a couple of weeks. We are off to South America for a wedding and some down time.
Be nice to each other.

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Well it has been a three year journey, rebuilding this sportster.
Tomorrow I am going to take in for an inspection, by the State Patrol, so as to get a license plate for it. Then it is for sale!
I will spend some time tweaking it to run better until it sells.

Here are some pictures I took tonight.
20150630_205236a.jpg
20150630_205309a.jpg
I bought my fist lathe, four years ago and the mill 3 years ago. With the help of many of you on this board, I have successfully completed this project. When I started, I had never fully rebuild a motor, or done any machine work. I had only installed a motor in a vehicle, partially rebuild a motor in high school and done simple tune ups and maintenance to all my vehicles. I am 56 now.
I now have a much better grasp on machine work and the process of rebuilding machines. I could not have made such progress with out the help of you guys. Thanks!

This will be the end of this thread, but not the end of my posting here.
I will do what I can to pass on what I have learned, as you guys have passed it on to me.
I have a plan that will take at least a year, if not more to complete the bikes that I have now. Next will be a 1962 Harley Davidson Panhead, that is in a 1948 HD frame. Once that is completed to a running state I intend to split the cases on my other 1974 Sportster, to fix a leak. So it seems I have enough to keep my busy and off the streets. :)

Once again, I can not thank you guys enough for your generosity of time and knowledge that you give here.

Pat
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Hello :!: Pat :D

You sure did a beautiful rebuild
on your sportster :wink: 8)

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
JackF

Post by JackF »

It's a beautiful bike Pat, it reminds me some of my 70 Sport. :) :)

Jack.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Patio wrote:This will be the end of this thread, but not the end of my posting here.
I will do what I can to pass on what I have learned, as you guys have passed it on to me.
I have a plan that will take at least a year, if not more to complete the bikes that I have now. Next will be a 1962 Harley Davidson Panhead, that is in a 1948 HD frame. Once that is completed to a running state I intend to split the cases on my other 1974 Sportster, to fix a leak. So it seems I have enough to keep my busy and off the streets. :)
Hope you will have threads for the other projects as well, I enjoy seeing how other people solve problems!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Ken, RIP
Thanks Jack
Thanks Redneck and I will be posting other projects as I do them.

This chapter is done! The bike has a new owner, they are coming back to pick it up tomorrow. A guy is buying it for his gal and she is pretty happy about it. I hope they get a lot of good memories from it.

Many people on this board have contributed to this build. Some, just by making a post here, on a totally different subject, unknown to them it was totally relevant to what I was trying to do. Others have helped directly. And some it was just great encouragement given, that helps a guy to keep moving forward. :)

I would like to specially like to thank Harold, who has very graciously listen to my many questions and given me good advise. There were a couple of stages, things would not likely have turned out so well without his help. Thanks Harold V.

More to come, just not here!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!