Sportster rebuild.

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JackF

Re: Sportster rebuild.

Post by JackF »

Quote ..... Doing what is needed with what I got. :D I love that. :wink: It's all about being self reliant. :D :D

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Front wheel is installed with newbearing races, bearings, seals, rotor and a rebuilt caliper with a new piston.
20141123_161737a.jpg
20141123_161749a.jpg
I have removed the rear wheel and disassembled it. One of the three bearings is bad and has been ordered. It should arrive around the 1st of Dec.
I have also ordered a new set of brake shoes for the back, they are from the same seller of the bearing, but the shoes will arrive around Nov 28th. :?

I am still in need of a rear fender. I figured it would be no problem finding one, but it has proven to be the most difficult part to find.

The march may be too fast but it is steady. I hope to have it running by Feb, at least that is the goal. It is also when I told my friend I would get the bike he sold me, out of his garage.

The mess has been cleaned up a bit since this picture, but here she is in her present state.
20141123_161809a.jpg
More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have ordered and received new brake shoes and the rear wheel bearing. I borrowed an inside micrometer to measure the rear brake drum and have come to the conclusion there is about .016" of meat left in the drum and the most worn part. I am going to take it over to my friends place and turn it on his Graziano Sag 20 lathe. I made him a set of soft jaws that I know he has not used yet, so I will show him how they work while turning the brake drum. :) I will take some pictures of the process when I get to it.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

The brake drum has been turned and it came out wonderful. Now to put the rear wheel back together, and I have a roller.

Before.
20141207_150621a.jpg
After.
20141207_172305a.jpg
Maximum diameter for the drum is 8.046. This come out at 8.040.

More to come.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

With a long weekend, I was able to get a few things done. :)

Rear hub is cleaned.
20141224_155121a.jpg

Made some bushings to press the bearings into place.
20141224_175821a.jpg
First one in, second one ready. Second bearing has one side sealed.
20141224_183956a.jpg
20141224_175839a.jpg
Everything went together real well. The wheel runs smooth and true. :)

I ended up making a new brake rod, and some spacer for it to work. Here the whole thing is, installed on the bike. I did not take as many pictures as I had hoped to do.

Here it is all together, with the new brake rod and the foot pedal. This is a pre 74 bike so the brake is on the left side. Everything after 1974 the brake has to be on the right.
20141228_194710a.jpg

I think next, is to make sure the kicker is working properly, then onto oil and electrics.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

More parts have been made, others have been found in the shop. Here is an update where things are.

Top motor mount made from some 1/4" X 1 1/4".
20150118_125052a.jpg
Coil mounting bracket made from some sheet metal.
20150118_174511a.jpg
20150118_174914a.jpg
20150118_175535a.jpg
Mock up of bike where it is now.
20150117_182638a.jpg
I have a rear fender being shipped to me, not sure if it will fit or work out yet. I had ordered a part for the kicker set up in the primary side, but I ordered the wrong one, so another is on the way. I dug out oil lines and gas lines, to see what I had and figure out what I will need. I will need some mufflers as staight pipe don't run well, in the mid range, and that is where the fun is. :)
Things are coming along and starting to get exiting. :)
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Not the same, but kinna similar. My 92 Suzy 1400 smelled bad when last rode. The rear brake is lightly groovy, and I suspect the piston is nearly siezed on the assembly. I want to redo the piston, and replace the original line, as it may have collapsed after all the years. The goal of restoring the brake is essential. Just off the cuff any brains out there with some advice?
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Looking good Pat, keep up the good work. :D

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Steamin10, I just rebuild my front brake caliper. The kit consisted of a new piston and an O-ring. The piston does not touch the side walls, so I may have not needed it, but it was quite crusty and I did not want any contamination of the system. I say, pull it apart and see what kind of condition it really is in, then make a plan.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Thanks for a direction. I'll put up what happens.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Patio

Post by Patio »

It's Alive!

I will post more later, with pictures, but for now I am a very happy person!
I fire the motor up, for the first time, today. And for a kick only bike, things went way better than expected.
I have only run it for about a minute, because she started to leak oil, out the pinion shaft seal.
I have been at it most of the weekend so now I am going to celebrate a little. :)

More to come! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Good news Pat, mine was a CH too. I used to win money on people betting I couldn't start it by the third kick. :D

Jack.