Sportster rebuild.

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Patio

Re: Sportster rebuild.

Post by Patio »

Glenn, I believe they are hardened and are used to set the end play of the cams, so a couple of thousandths would matter.

I bought a new shim, at the local bike shop, for a buck. It was easier than tearing my shop apart looking for the shims I have. Now I just need some time to get it installed. I thought I knew cam it fell from, but now I am not sure. I will need to pull the lifter block and check the end play in each of the cams to get it installed where is belongs. It should be the last time I will need to install the cam cover though and that is a good thing.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Measure twice , check twice, dont commit to the small Murphy errors. Step by step, make good solid progress.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I agree Steamin 10!

I have the cam chest put back together and she runs again. Now I am on to front brakes and lights.

I needed a way to attach the seat to the back fender, so I turned a bit of Delrin to make a bushing that will hold a bolt in a hole in the fender. I have not used it yet so I am not sure how well it is going to work yet. It is the first time I have turned delrin, what a pleasure that was.

Here is a picture of the parts.
20150424_174806a.jpg
More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Today I got out the soft jaws, turned down a 1/4" fender washer to .020" thick and .75" diameter. I needed one for the master cylinder rebuild. It may be a very simple operation, but for us newbies, it is wonderful to have the means of making something, that would takes days to acquire.

No picture.

The bushing I made to attach the seat to the fender worked better than expected. I thought it might spin on the fender when tightening the nut, but it held well enough to install a nyloc nut.

Now if I could just get the wiring in place. :roll:

I hope to ride it soon.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Well I have been making good progress on the bike. Most of the bike is done, just a couple of wires, speedo cable and maybe a tach cable.

The biggest problem at the moment, is the clutches are not fully releasing. I have run it while on the stand, and the rear brake and transmission, seems to be working well.
I also got the charging system to work, or I could say it was working all the time I just did not know it. :?
Thanks to Jack F, for the generator he brought to me.

This was Saturdays project.
20150502_150313a.jpg
Here are some pictures, of where things are tonight.
20150503_204045a.jpg
20150503_204139a.jpg
I have one more wire to run, to the generator and I will tidy this all up.
20150503_204204a.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Hi Pat, I,m glad the gen worked. That gen has been floating round my extra parts bins for better than 30 years. :shock: :wink: :lol:

Jack.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Bravo! for the laws of the conservation of matter, or at least parts that matter.

I am waiting for my shop to implode into that black hole of lost parts, I know I have but cant find.

Ps. I had the 1400 Suzi out, and the rear brake is below function. While the Seafoam, and new gas self clean the carbs, the low jets have improved and caused the idle to be reset. So far so good, thanks for the inspiration.

Its not work, if you love what you do.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Dave, I find it interesting that you would find me inspiring. You are the guy that seems to get more done in a day than 5 other guys working together and that is inspiring.

Thanks again Jack for the generator.

I am getting real close to having the bike off the build table.
Tonight I finished making a couple of turn signal mounting brackets. They are made from 304 SS. One threaded end goes into the light fixture and the other is bolted to the fender strut. The brackets are hollow, so the wire can run through it, to remain hidden. If one looks close enough, you would notice they are not the same length. :oops: I am going to use them as they are.
20150526_221833a.jpg
20150526_221805a.jpg
I sure do like the finish that 304 provides.

I have been working on getting a speedo cable connected to the speedo itself. The cable I bought does not have the nut I need and I can not find one anywhere. The nut that secures the cable to the meter is a 5/8X27 thread. My SB lathe will not cut a 27 tpi. thread. I have made at least four nuts before I figured out what was wrong. I had turned a 28tpi and tried to make it fit the speedometer, at the cost of the meter. I did find another speedometer, a friend had one. After a conversation about the project with Harold V, he invited me up to make a nut. I only made that one twice. :oops: , but now have a workable 5/8"X27 tpi nut. I need to make a bushing to fully engage the cable to the speedo for it to be finished. When I make the bushing I will post photos of it.

I also need to make a horn bracket, but it is a simple operation on the bandsaw, sander and drill press.

Once these are done, she is ready for a state inspection, licensing, a bit of a break in and then she is for sale.

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Good to hear you are nearly there. :) :)

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

The Plan.

This part, will be a spacer, between the jacket of the cable and the speedometer.
20150529_232151a.jpg
I am going to make it out of brass.

More to come, when it happens!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I got the bushing made, and it worked out really well. Here are the pictures of the nut, bushing and the way the whole thing fits together.
The nut.
20150530_131336a.jpg
20150530_131347a.jpg
With the bushing installed.
20150530_131516a.jpg
Here is the bushing and the other parts.
20150530_131139a.jpg
There is a stepped shoulder at the bottom of the bore of the nut, that the flare on the cable rest against, the bushing's reduced shank, sets in the step, keeping it concentric.
20150530_131537a.jpg
See it assembled in the next post!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Here are all the parts, assembled.
20150530_131210a.jpg
It seems I did not take any pictures of the speedo bracket.

Mile stone moment last weekend, I took the bike off the lift and rode it around the block, twice! This rebuild started 3 years ago.
I am still having some issues with the clutch. I am going to put a set, from another bike in and see how that goes.
I also have a date with the state patrol, for an inspection, later this month. :)

Things have gotten busy around here, both personally and with the business. Both are good things. :)
We are off to Ecuador, for a wedding and a couple of weeks of vacation, so things are going to get real slow around here.
Once I get it off the lift and out in the sunlight again, I will take some pictures of the finished bike for you to see.

Till next time.....
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!