The Engine World, and their Records. GREAT READ..

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: The Engine World, and there Records. GREAT READ..

Post by SteveM »

wildun wrote:I believe that the Wankel engine will only be successful if the fuel used is hydrogen ( heard that it is very suitable for hydrogen), but, after forty something years in development, it still wastes fuel. If you have ever followed a Mazda RX7 etc. then you will no doubt have noticed the fumes produced by the escape of raw fuel, - not pleasant!
Those are the guys who have ripped all the pollution controls off their cars. A stock one is clean.

I remember following one where I could smell it even though it was so far ahead of me that I couldn't see it.

Oh, and the current model gets about 4hp/cu in without a turbo.

Steve
ronm

Re: The Engine World, and there Reccords. GREAT READ..

Post by ronm »

ken572 wrote:
ronm wrote: We might have to go back to Treadles, Pedal's, and Crank's. :lol:
Ken. :)
Not me, Man-they will take my Diesel away when they pry my cold, dead body out of the seat... :wink:
wildun

Post by wildun »

SteveM wrote: Oh, and the current model gets about 4hp/cu in without a turbo.
Steve
Yes STEVE, the power to weight ratio of those Wankel engines is incredible and the young guys have made use of their incredible power and have abused and trashed them, - they do work of course but there are many good reasons why they have not replaced the four stroke piston engine.

I do believe that a good two stroke engine could hold its own both in power weight and simplicity with the Wankel, but the two strokes are being progressively pushed from the scene by legislation, and the Wankel has been allowed to continue on the roads even though the pollution they tend to produce is possibly more than that produced by a latter day two stroke.
Having said that, OEM I believe, has persevered with the two stroke in their outboards because of the complexity, weight and cost of four stroke equivalents. Bombardier also with their two stroke Skidoo engines and KTM in Europe are still developing more modern two strokes for motorcycles, karts etc. - the two stroke has not thrown in the towel yet!
I have always been a two stroke fan, but I was always been keen on the Wankel design and I'm sad to say it has not lived up to it's promise, - the plain fact (to me) is that the only powerplants which can successfully challenge round pistons and round cylinders will be turbine engines and/or electric power.
hammermill

Re: The Engine World, and their Records. GREAT READ..

Post by hammermill »

just as a side note here is one place a wankel is still in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs34e-JQWH4

ken572

Post by ken572 »

hammermill wrote:just as a side note here is one place a wankel is still in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs34e-JQWH4
Ken,

Thanks for the link. Wankel's are pretty good since
the Japanese figured out how to fix the sealing problems
back in the early 1970's. 8)

Oh Yeh :!: Check your regular email :wink:

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
wildun

Post by wildun »

steamin10 wrote:Yep. The smartest guys in the room are anticipating the opening of huge reserves of Natural Gas,

I remember that in the seventies and maybe early eighties there was a rush here for CNG (compressed natural gas) for automotive use.
We do have a good supply of NG here, but the problem was that it took quite massive compressors to put it into cylinders which had to be very heavy in order to withstand the high pressures involved.
The government subsidised the installation of these compressors and many people converted their cars and light trucks to CNG. Many also converted to LPG (propane) which was more user friendly with lighter tanks because of the lower pressures involved.
It all boomed for a few years, then the whole CNG thing ground to a halt as people were complaining of a lack of power and short range and they also didn't like the extra weight in their cars.

The lack of power with CNG (I'm told) was only a problem because of the need for a higher compression ratio than that used in the average vehicle and of course this could not be readily altered without a major rebuild.

LPG did linger on for a while because it was readily available for heating/cooking etc. but that also died out probably because of the inconvenience and the short range compared to gas (ie gasoline - we normally call it petrol).

The discarded CNG cylinders were great for guys with lathes because they were a very cheap supply of good quality steel in the form of about 10" dia. cored round stock! :D
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

FWIW, a friend's son just earned a PhD with his thesis on conversion of large marine powerplants to LNG. He says it's the next big thing, because a big upside is the cleaner fuel means longer engine and fuel system life. Bunker fuel is nasty stuff.

jack vines