The Engine World, and their Records. GREAT READ..

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

ken572

The Engine World, and their Records. GREAT READ..

Post by ken572 »

All,

I Stumbled on this and thought you I.C. guys

would enjoy checking it out.. Very Cool. 8)

http://www.prof-ges.com/lectures/HTL%20 ... 260212.pdf

Ken. :)
Last edited by ken572 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
wildun

Re: The Engine World, and there Records. GREAT READ..

Post by wildun »

All very interesting stuff, but because it isn't aimed at the fashion conscious masses , we don't hear a lot about it all. The two stroke engine isn't dead yet - I doubt it'll be banned in this role, - I wonder if emissions are monitored on these large engines! I'm surprised they haven't changed all the ships engines to gas turbine yet.
I believe that the Wankel engine will only be successful if the fuel used is hydrogen ( heard that it is very suitable for hydrogen), but, after forty something years in development, it still wastes fuel. If you have ever followed a Mazda RX7 etc. then you will no doubt have noticed the fumes produced by the escape of raw fuel, - not pleasant!

Have a look at these developments:-
http://citsengine.com.au/
http://www.scuderigroup.com/engine-development/
Whether these will go anywhere or just be relegated to history, who knows!
ken572

Post by ken572 »

wildun wrote:All very interesting stuff, but because it isn't aimed at the fashion conscious masses , we don't hear a lot about it all. The two stroke engine isn't dead yet - I doubt it'll be banned in this role, - I wonder if emissions are monitored on these large engines! I'm surprised they haven't changed all the ships engines to gas turbine yet.
I believe that the Wankel engine will only be successful if the fuel used is hydrogen ( heard that it is very suitable for hydrogen), but, after forty something years in development, it still wastes fuel. If you have ever followed a Mazda RX7 etc. then you will no doubt have noticed the fumes produced by the escape of raw fuel, - not pleasant!

Have a look at these developments:-
http://citsengine.com.au/
http://www.scuderigroup.com/engine-development/
Whether these will go anywhere or just be relegated to history, who knows!
wildun,

ThankYou for the reply, comments, and the very interesting LINKs. 8)

One must remember.
Ken.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

new tankers being build in sandiego are supposed to be able to run on lng. supposidly a few years ago they??? came up with a way to inject it into engines.

here is a link to the short story

http://americanmachinist.com/news/gener ... ail`&YM_MI
Last edited by hammermill on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Met a guy several weeks ago whose company is converting EMD diesels for the railroads to run on CNG. They also have a contract for some marine ferries. relatively simple conversion. 5% diesel injection is retained to fire the gas and control timing. Not new technology by the way.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

here is the other article on lng engines

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... uck-stops/
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Yep. The smartest guys in the room are anticipating the opening of huge reserves of Natural Gas, The Methane Hydrate that stymied the Gulf blowout, and the vast reserves of the same off the NE Coast of the US. Politically, Mexico wanted a long term transport and sales contract with US pipeline consumers and missed the boat. Now they know why. Those in the know can see large supplies to eat into oil demand, and lower prices will enrich profits for a wile, if they move to become able to use this resource. No, it is not new technology. Oil well engines of nearly a century ago, were run on waste gas to pump oil from the ground with slow turn oil well engines. History repeats itself. Any body remember the story of the 'Big Blow' that was the coal fired turbine engine? Also called 'Big John'?

My Uncle was the last to run huge Allis Chalmers gas engines run on coal gas in US Steel Gary works. Part of the older blast furnace operations. (now gone to more modern process). Taken out in the 60's when I was young.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
ronm

Post by ronm »

Stewart & Stevenson was doing dual-fuel conversions on Detroit Diesel engines at least as far back as the 70's-I remember magazine ads to that effect. Huge NG carb on the blower intake...Like the setup Russ mentioned, used enough Diesel to create ignition in dual mode. They were marketing them for irrigation wells, never saw one run, but sounds interesting...
dly31

Post by dly31 »

The Safeguard Anti-Ballistic Missile system used Cooper Bessemer LSV-16, 16 cylinder, 360 RPM, about 5000 HP engines for the on-site generators. They could operate on full diesel or on natural gas with a pilot diesel injection for ignition. They had a control system to smoothly change from one system to the other. This was mid 1960's and I think that type of system was fairly common in power plants at that time.
Don Young
Russ Hanscom

Re: The Engine World, and there Reccords. GREAT READ..

Post by Russ Hanscom »

The LSV-16s was one of the units I was aware of. We looked at buying a surplus power plant to generate our own power after the rates started to go up.
ronm

Post by ronm »

NG may indeed be the fuel of the future, considering the mess Tier IV has made of the Diesel industry...my friend that works at the Cat House says the exhaust system on a new piece of Cat machinery (emissions system) adds $15K to the price...operators complain of no power, but they have to cut the fuel back to eliminate ANY smoke, even a puff on startup...I picked up a brochure at John Deere on their new off-road emissions systems-unbelievable the crap they have to hang on an engine to jump through the Tier IV hoops... :x
ken572

Post by ken572 »

ronm wrote:NG may indeed be the fuel of the future, considering the mess Tier IV has made of the Diesel industry...my friend that works at the Cat House says the exhaust system on a new piece of Cat machinery (emissions system) adds $15K to the price...operators complain of no power, but they have to cut the fuel back to eliminate ANY smoke, even a puff on startup...I picked up a brochure at John Deere on their new off-road emissions systems-unbelievable the crap they have to hang on an engine to jump through the Tier IV hoops... :x
Ron,

We might have to go back to Treadles, Pedal's, and Crank's. :lol:

One must remember.
Ken.