New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Torch

Re: New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

Post by Torch »

I downloaded the manual from Grizzly. Looks like your eBay set is missing the 24, 39, 48, 72 and 120 tooth gears (in addition to the 120/127 and 60/120 compound gears) compared to the original set. However, you will have a 25 and 45 that didn't come with the original set, which may expand your range of thread options.

If the Grizzly vendor coughs up the original set, you will have an extra 60 tooth to play with too. Handy if you want to make a 60/120/127 like I did ;-)
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Thanks Torch! Just the info I needed. Gotta do some reading to fine tune my understanding and then make some chips and destroy some lathe tool bits! LoL Speaking of making some gears, or not, I bought this pictured item about five years ago and I gotta say, "It is the best damn door stop I have ever owned!" LoL Really impressive the skill and knowledge you have in making the items in your link!

Torch

Post by Torch »

Well if you are just going to use it as a door stop, send it here in exchange for your choice of a wood wedge or a lump of stone!

OTOH, if you decide to make some gears, you'd better hang on to it for a little while longer.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:Well if you are just going to use it as a door stop, send it here in exchange for your choice of a wood wedge or a lump of stone!

OTOH, if you decide to make some gears, you'd better hang on to it for a little while longer.
Muskoka Municipality is tooooo far away! Looked at some pictures from up there and it looks like a slice of heaven in a world gone crazy.
Torch

Post by Torch »

That's Ok, my neighbour is in Florida right now (it's less heaven-like from November to April) so you can just give it to him and he can throw it in with the rest of his luggage. :lol:
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:That's Ok, my neighbour is in Florida right now (it's less heaven-like from November to April) so you can just give it to him and he can throw it in with the rest of his luggage. :lol:

Don't know how much longer I'll be working/playing out in my little shop. Yesterday it was 95/f degrees, inside, and going to get worse soon. Have a window air-conditioner somewhere that I need to install. I'd also have to insulate the walls or the electricity bill would go out of sight. Just installed a ceiling fan and is a little better.
Torch

Post by Torch »

It got all the way up to 9°C here today. If this keeps up the snow will be all gone in another few weeks.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Man picked up the old 3-In-One today and so now the race in on to get my new Grizzly into the shop. I will have to weld some cross members on my lathe stand in order to bolt up the new machine and add a 5/8" piece of plywood on top of that before setting the lathe atop. I can already see how much room I freed up in my little 10'x15' shop. Still considering taking the mill portion off as I have a Grizzly G0619 stand along mill.

LX Kid

Re: Bolton AT750 or Grizzly G9729 owners!

Post by LX Kid »

I sold my ShopTask a couple of days ago so I'm pressing ahead with modifying the roll-around lathe stand to accept the new Grizzly. Welded on a couple new cross members and am hopeing that I'm not too far past the wheels or it might be tip over prone. Gonna put a 3/4" plywood on top. Well nobody seems to know if parts are the same so I went ahead and ordered a follow rest and steady rest from Bolton. I just hope they are the same for both the 3-In-One's.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

I'm now pressing ahead with modifying the roll-around lathe stand to accept the new Grizzly. Welded on a couple new cross members and am hopeing that the center of gravity is not too far past the wheels or it might be tip over prone. Gonna put a 3/4" plywood on top. I ordered a 12" follow rest and steady rest from Bolton and am guessing the AT750 will be the same as the Grizzly G9729.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I hope that stand will be sturdy enough period. Strong enough to hold the lathe up without tipping does not necessarily mean it won't vibrate and shake in use.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:I hope that stand will be sturdy enough period. Strong enough to hold the lathe up without tipping does not necessarily mean it won't vibrate and shake in use.
Excess weight has been a concern of mine with the new lathe. I can't find, on the web, how much my old ShopTask weighed. The new Grizzly surely weighs more with the extended length. However the casting on the old are larger than the new Grizz. The ShopTask was a more robustly made lathe. On the stand there are screw down legs to get it off the wheels where I add some dunnage under them. I tried to make a deal to sell/trade the stand but failed. In the interest of safety and performance I may have pull up some money and buy a proper stand for somewhere around $400 delivered. I'd rather find a used one but them are far and few to be found.

Update:
(The shipping weight of the Grizzly is 697 lbs so minus packing I figure the weight is about 660 lbs/300 kilos.)
(The shipping weight of the 17-20 XM TC Gold is 640 lbs/290 kilos so weight should be around 600 lbs/272 kilos.)

Don't think that 60 lbs will make that much difference on the stand. That stand has been is use for the Shop Task for probably 15 years or more. Going to move this posting to my other posting. Please don't respond to this posting anymore. Thanks!

Please note that the two topics have been merged.

Harold