New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LX Kid

New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

Post by LX Kid »

I already have a CNC ShopTask 17-20 XMTC but I couldn't pass up this deal. 1/2 price of new one and is still bolted in crate. A gentleman in Georgia had just bought this 12x36 and he passed away before he could even assemble it. His son brought it down to Tampa, Florida to sell it. Some problems though. He doesn't know anything about lathes/mills and didn't bring all the accessories with him. I turned it on and everything is working but will need some motor work on the mill. Power cross feeds and X & Y work fine. When you move the belts to high speed, on the mill, it runs slow and motor warms up. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with one of the two starting capacitors. Anyone know or what I should check? Said next time he goes back to Georgia he will look around for all the accessories. I hope he can find the follower and steady. Still has all the shipping grease on it. Probably take couple of months to get accessories, "if he can find them!" Gonna go ahead and fix what can be fixed in the mean time. Here's some pics.
Last edited by LX Kid on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveM

Re: New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

Post by SteveM »

Depending on what the accessories are worth, it might be worth a "road trip".

You never know what else you might find and be able to make an offer on.

Steve
ken572

Post by ken572 »

LX, :!: Very Cool Find and Purchase. 8) :wink:

I am with Steve, Do the road trip, and go shopping.. :D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

You guys are probably right. The lady doesn't live on the property. I'm going to give it a try just the same. The change gears,13 of them, are not there either. Anyone know how to troubleshoot my electrical motor problem?
Torch

Post by Torch »

LX Kid wrote:When you move the belts to high speed, on the mill, it runs slow and motor warms up. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with one of the two starting capacitors. Anyone know or what I should check?
Only when set to the highest speed? That's when small differences at the spindle make big differences in load at the motor. I'd check the mill spindle bearing preload. And/or possibly grease, if it has been sitting unused for an extended period.

You might just need to let it run for a while on low speed to settle things in. See if the mill spindle starts getting warm. The bearing preload should actually be tight enough that the spindle does warm noticeably, say 5 or 10 degrees, after running for a while on the highest speed. If not, then the preload is too loose and you will have chatter problems.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:
LX Kid wrote:When you move the belts to high speed, on the mill, it runs slow and motor warms up. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with one of the two starting capacitors. Anyone know or what I should check?
Only when set to the highest speed? That's when small differences at the spindle make big differences in load at the motor. I'd check the mill spindle bearing preload. And/or possibly grease, if it has been sitting unused for an extended period.

You might just need to let it run for a while on low speed to settle things in. See if the mill spindle starts getting warm. The bearing preload should actually be tight enough that the spindle does warm noticeably, say 5 or 10 degrees, after running for a while on the highest speed. If not, then the preload is too loose and you will have chatter problems.
Seller is going to bring it to my house this weekend and I can do some troubleshooting.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

I just noticed/remembered that there was an magnetic electrical contractor laying in the bottom of the gear change box. Someone has been working on it before. You can see it laying in the bottom in the pic. How loose should the belt be on the mill quill pulley? Seems like there is about 2" of flex.
Last edited by LX Kid on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
f350ca

Post by f350ca »

Is it maybe wired for 220 v and your connecting it to 110. Symptoms sound about right.

Greg
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

f350ca wrote:Is it maybe wired for 220 v and your connecting it to 110. Symptoms sound about right.
Greg
I'll have to check it out when it gets to my house. Lathe motor works just fine.

This Grizzly seems not as strong in comparison to my Shop Task.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

If I were going to buy only one, which would be better, a steady rest or a follower? I think Bolten Harware a a gear set for their AT750 12x30 model which looks just like my Grizzly G9729. I'd bet they are the same.

Being that I have a Grizzly stand alone mill, G0619, is it possible to just take the mill portion off and cap off the headstock? I do know that it will swing but I want to put it as close to the wall as possible to make more floor space and less weight on the floor joises.
Last edited by LX Kid on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I forget now if it was Frank Ford or Glen Wegman, but one of the fellows here shared a neat little shop-made follower rest that used micro-bearings and attached to the actual tool holder. I made one of those and have never used the follower rest that came with the lathe since. I have, however, used the steady rest occasionally. EG: facing off and/or drilling long pieces that won't fit through the headstock. So personally, I would say the steady rest.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

LX Kid wrote:If I were going to buy only one, which would be better, a steady rest or a follower?
I purchased my lathe (Graziano Sag 12) new in 1967. I have NEVER mounted the follower. I have used the steady on various occasions, but only infrequently.

Reason?

I specialized in small work.

Which one you'd use the most is determined by the work you do. You might be one who uses a follower regularly, and never a steady. Only you can determine which one would be more important.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.