New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LX Kid

Re: New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

Post by LX Kid »

The lathe arrived this morning and I was able to check things out today. I ran both motors today both forward and backwards for extended periods and they now work fine. Found the thread position counter gear to be missing and ordered it and two handles for the saddle. Things seem to work more smooth and after running it awhile. Pretty sure I have a buyer for my ShopTask this weekend and I'll be able to move the Grizzly into the shop. Seller is going back to Georgia on the 17th and assures me he will look for missing items.

I think, and hope, that I got a good deal for $1200!
Last edited by LX Kid on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning :!: LX :D

It looks pretty good, and if you can get all
the accessories from the seller that would
make it a very good deal. I.M.H.O.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Does anyone know if the Bolton Hardware AT750 is the same machine as this G9729? They look the same and parts might be more available from Bolton.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

You have a PM waiting.

One must remember.
Ken.
LX Kid

Bolton AT750 or Grizzly G9729 owners!

Post by LX Kid »

Who owns Bolton AT750 or G9729? I just bought a Grizzly G9729 and am wondering what kind of lathe stand you have. I'm "kinda, sorta, maybe," thinking they are the same machine marketed by different company's. I like the Bolton stand cause it has a oil pan on top. I don't even see where Grizzly sells one for this particular 12x36 machine. Appreciate any suggestions as I have very limited space in my tiny 10'x15' shop.

This is the one I own and am selling the ShopTask that sits atop it. I guess I could cut off the front and rear rails to move it closer to the wall.

LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Everything is working just fine now. Ran both motors for extended time for break-in and now everything is nice and smooth. Ordered two handles, which were missing, and makes life a little more easy. The thread counter gear was also missing so I got one from Grizzly for $15 and was surprised that it was made of plastic.

I was able to sell my ShopTask 3-In-One and it will soon be gone so I can move the new Grizzly into the shop. Still hopeing the former owner can find the two rest's and especially the change gears.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning :!: LX :D

It's nice that everthing is starting to fall
into place for you. :wink:

Keep us updated on your progress.
One must remember.
Ken.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Made a lead screw handle today in case one doesn't show up. Seems like nothing else to do until my old lathe is gone, hopefully Wednesday, and will allow me to re-arrange my shop. Still on waiting status to see if the former seller is going to be able to find all the goodies for this Grizzly. Starting to hit 90 degrees here and should start looking for my new air-conditioner I stored over in the U-Haul storage facility. Unless I get that sucker installed I'm not going to be doing anything out in the shop till fall!
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Just won winning bid on eight early Chinese change gears for $45 shipped. Just in case the seller doesn't find the change gear set. Checked with Grizzly and Bolton and they don't have the change gear sets so I figured I had better get these although there are only eight of them.

12mm center hole with keyway cut: 25, 27, 30, 33, 36, 42, 45, & 60 gears.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

(Where's Ken?) What kind/type/style cutter do I need to cut threads? I know there are "all kinds" of threads and was wondering if one cutter will do it all? Thanks
Torch

Post by Torch »

You mean the lathe tool bit for cutting threads? Most common metric and inch threads are cut with bit ground to a 60° point. However, they usually have a flat on that point and the ideal width of that flat varies with the thread pitch.

In practice, I'm not making nuclear missiles, so I just have 2 or 3 60° bits that I use. As long as the flat width is equal to or less than the specified flat, the thread will mate, although the excess material removal means the fastener is not quite as strong as it could be.

Now, if you need to cut a Whitworth or Sewing Machine thread, you will need a bit ground to 55°. Some threads have rounded roots instead of flat. Acme or square threads have a completely different shape. Etc. Etc.

Do you have a metric or inch lead screw pitch? To cut inch threads on a machine with a metric pitch lead screw (or vise-versa) you will need a combination 120/127 tooth change gear. You will also need about a 120 tooth gear and a 120/60 combination gear to use the lead screw for power feed. And I think your eBay set is missing 2 or 3 others that normally come with the machine.

Of course, you can make your own gears as required. I did. I made a 127/120/60 combination gear to speed up the gear changes (that gear in the B position is a PITA to change on my machine!). I made a number of other single gears to fill in the range of threads I can cut. My change gears are all metric, "Module 1", with 12mm keyed holes, so I bet yours are metric too.
Last edited by Torch on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Torch

Post by Torch »

Here's a post that I wrote a while back showing some of the gearing modifications I made.

Here's a post showing my shop-made gear cutter project. Good for one-off gears.

Here's a post about a reasonably priced set of Module 1 gear cutters I bought. A lot less work and worth it if you need to make a set or frequently make gears in a given pitch.