New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LX Kid

Re: New Grizzly G9729 from estate sale

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:
(I hope that stand will be sturdy enough period. Strong enough to hold the lathe up without tipping does not necessarily mean it won't vibrate and shake in use. End)

Excess weight has been a concern of mine with the new lathe. I can't find, on the web, how much my old ShopTask weighed. The new Grizzly surely weighs more with the extended length. However the casting on the old are larger than the new Grizz. The ShopTask was a more robustly made lathe. On the stand there are screw down legs to get it off the wheels where I add some dunnage under them. I tried to make a deal to sell/trade the stand but failed. In the interest of safety and performance I may have pull up some money and buy a proper stand for somewhere around $400 delivered. I'd rather find a used one but them are far and few to be found.

Update:
(The shipping weight of the Grizzly is 697 lbs so minus packing I figure the weight is about 660 lbs/300 kilos.)
(The shipping weight of the 17-20 XM TC Gold is 640 lbs/290 kilos so weight should be around 600 lbs/272 kilos.)

Don't think that 60 lbs will make that much difference on the stand. That stand has been is use for the Shop Task for probably 15 years or more.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

The mounting bolt, bottom pic, is just about the center line of weight distribution for the headstock and two motors. If I mount the headstock directly above the support leg I believe it will be alright. I could remove the mill headstock and reduce the weight by about 150 lbs. 3/4" plywood will also assist in weight distribution. Opinions are welcome. (Called Grizzly and they don't sell lathe stand for this model! Go figure!)

Holes on right are for old lathe and white cross member is where I plan on drilling and mounting new lathe.

Last edited by LX Kid on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

If I buy a conventional lathe stand, probably a Bolton's, I would not be able to put it into my shop very easy. I have floor juices on 16" centers versus the 18" normally used in order to support weight. This current stand is on wheels and can use an engine hoist to put the lathe on stand and roll up into the shop to place it into position.

Entrance to my shop.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Pics of today's work preparing the lathe stand. Used stove bolts to secure the 3/4" plywood to the stand in the old lathe mounting holes. Drilled 1/2" holes in the new cross-members I welded Friday. The chip/oil pan will slide perfectly between the new mounting holes. Tomorrow I rent and auto engine hoist to place the lathe on the table. I'll do some sanding and painting before that though.

LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Used a motorcycle lift, plywood shoring as skids to table, and two good neighbors that stuck it out! Finally on the table and in the shop!

LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Now my Grizzly is in the shop, leveled, secured so the fun is just beginning to get it cleaned up. tramed and operational. Going to open new posting for the continuing saga of my new G9729 3-In-One.

Link:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 7&t=101285
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

I own a Grizzly G9729 lathe I bought back in 2002. Unfortunately it has a problem. I normally stow the milling machine portion of the combo machine to the rear. The last time I used the lathe as a mill or drill press was over a year ago. Currently the mill portion of the combo lathe is stuck and can't be moved into position over the bed so it is now useless. I removed the two clamps (called brake pads in the manual) that secure it in position and put as much force as I could on the head stock assembly to move it, but it didn't budge.

According to the drawings in the owner's manual there doesn't seem to be anything holding the head stock down on the machine other than its weight. I used my engine hoist in an attempt to lift the head stock off of the lathe, but it didn't work.

The position it is in blocks removal of the four hex bolts holding the support column in place. I sprayed some WD40 inside on what I could see of the column after removing the top belt cover and the column clamps hoping this will loosen things up.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ranb
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

Got it fixed, mostly. I tapped on the headstock with a hammer and it seemed to have loosed things up inside enough for me to move the mill into position. Now I just need to disassemble the machine and clean/lubricate it.
spro

Post by spro »

Success! This should, though, have been a new thread. Good luck in getting her running nice.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote:Success! This should, though, have been a new thread.
Nope! Don't think so!
Starting new threads revolving around the same topic, especially when it's the identical machine and individual, is to be discouraged. It makes it way too hard to find responses one hopes to read. Keep everything under a common header and that isn't true. Those with an interest and are following a thread know exactly where to look, so long as it remains the same.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

I lifted the head stock off of the machine last night, lots of rust inside. I guess it must have been the years of temperature change inside my unheated garage causing condensation inside. I wiped everything down and greased it up. Now I can push it back and forth with two fingers. I should mention that the tapping was more like hitting it hard with a sledge hammer; it chipped the baked on paint right off. But everything works now. Whenever it gets harder to position I'll just clean and lube the internals to keep things moving.
Slawman

Post by Slawman »

Get some Ballistol at Gander Mountain for around $10.00. This is the best lube, rust breaker,gun cleaner,leather restorer etc etc you will find. It is also a great cutting oil. I use Ballistol to lube & protect knives & straight razors.
Just go to ballistol.com & check it out! :idea: