Getting my new G9729 Grizzly up running! Help

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LX Kid

Re: Getting my new G9729 Grizzly up running! Help

Post by LX Kid »

I JUST HAD A VISUAL REALIZATION OF WHAT HAPPEND TO MY BRASS HALF NUT DAMAGE!!!!! I'm not used to a lathe that has a powered feed and I had locked the apron down and engaged the lead screw. I sure hope that this was a $71 lesson learned and won't be doing that again. Has anyone made a device that will kick the apron lock off if it exceeds "X" number of pounds resistance?
Torch

Post by Torch »

No, but I did replace the steel roll pin driving my lead screw with a brass shear pin for the same reason.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:No, but I did replace the steel roll pin driving my lead screw with a brass shear pin for the same reason.
I was just going to ask about that! Maybe it would shear first just like on an outboard motor.

While I'm waiting for the gear and half nut to arrive I decided to tackle modifying my quick change post to fit the Grizzly. I bought a 5/8 x 5" bolt and turned and filed to fit the smaller Grizzly swivel base. I already had a base plate to raise it up and just had to narrow the slot to fit the table. Forgot to buy a nut when I bout the bolt.

Last edited by LX Kid on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

What to do about the floppy apron lock. It's too loose and falls unexpectedly. I'm thinking of installing a knob instead of the lever. My MT4 dead center arrived yesterday and I checked to make sure the tailstock is in alignment and it was perfect. I won the eBay bid for 3 of those suckers for $20 so now I have two extras. I guess with you guys helping me I'll get this Grizzly straightened out. Gonna drain the oil in the headstock soon and see what comes out. Guess I'll use 20w non-detergent useless there's something better.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:No, but I did replace the steel roll pin driving my lead screw with a brass shear pin for the same reason.
Has it had an opportunity to shear?
Torch

Post by Torch »

LX Kid wrote:Has it had an opportunity to shear?
You mean "Did I once crash my machine because I was working very close to the headstock and stupidly forgot to check if I had enough clearance bore that deep?"

Yes :oops:

Fortunately, the brass pin sheared and protected things.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:
LX Kid wrote:Has it had an opportunity to shear?
You mean "Did I once crash my machine because I was working very close to the headstock and stupidly forgot to check if I had enough clearance bore that deep?"
Yes :oops:Fortunately, the brass pin sheared and protected things.
Yes, that's what I mean! Did you make the pin or buy it? Looks to be about 1/8" pin. Gotta find some brass somewhere.
Torch

Post by Torch »

I have a lathe. I don't buy shear pins any more ;-)

And I believe the diameter was actually metric, probably 3 or 4mm. But I don't remember the size exactly.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:I have a lathe. I don't buy shear pins any more ;-)

And I believe the diameter was actually metric, probably 3 or 4mm. But I don't remember the size exactly.
You mean to say you have an "honest to God" real lathe and not a "toy" lathe anymore? Congrats, and I wish that some day I'll also have the same. And even learn how to use it! LoL
Torch

Post by Torch »

Well, let's just say I refined the lathe kit I bought. (And tweaked the mill portion too.)

Is the result equal to a heavy duty floor-mounted industrial machine? Nope. But it fits in the available space and with care, working within the machine's limitations, I can turn out stuff accurate to +/- 0.0005" on a good day. Which is overkill for most of my projects. And the total cost of the tweaked machine is still less than the price of some tool posts. Heck, if it was offered anywhere, I'd probably have to pay as much or more just for a machining course in a college, so this is like getting the lathe free with the price of the course!
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Torch wrote:Well, let's just say I refined the lathe kit I bought. (And tweaked the mill portion too.)

Is the result equal to a heavy duty floor-mounted industrial machine? Nope. But it fits in the available space and with care, working within the machine's limitations, I can turn out stuff accurate to +/- 0.0005" on a good day. Which is overkill for most of my projects. And the total cost of the tweaked machine is still less than the price of some tool posts. Heck, if it was offered anywhere, I'd probably have to pay as much or more just for a machining course in a college, so this is like getting the lathe free with the price of the course!
You gotta share some pics of your machine and your shop! It's the only neighborly thing to do. LoL
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

Wrong again! I need to quit making snap judgements about what I've got before I more thoroughly check my machine. I do have two sets of set screws, on the left and right apron sides, being #732 & #733. I didn't realize that #732 was the gib adjustment and #733 was the lock on the gib adjustment screw. I did get all the slop out of my apron. ("Newbies! Don't you just hate them?")