ER Collet Chuck suggestions for me!

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

LX Kid

ER Collet Chuck suggestions for me!

Post by LX Kid »

Have a Grizzly G9729, 12x36 3-In-One and would like some opinions for a ER Collet system for my MT3 mill spindle. Just trying to get tooled up for future projects that I might want to do. Micro-Mark has a ER-25 Kit (MT3) for $118. Would another ER system be more appropriate for my mill/drill? Don't know much about differences of ER chucks and don't want to spend the money twice for "wish I had got the other one!" LoL
Last edited by LX Kid on Sat May 09, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
97470me

Re: ER Collet Chuck suggestions for me!

Post by 97470me »

Kid,

I bought just such a deal, I can't remember from who, but I have systematically bought
adapters for R8, MT2, MT3, 1-1/8"-8 (myford nose) and I could not be happier.
They are COLLETS and grab small diameter stuff fiercely. Not like a 3 jaw, even a good
one. Cutters never slip, work never slips. Get a set, you won't regret it.

Gordon French
Roseburg, Oregon
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

97470me wrote:Kid, I bought just such a deal, I can't remember from who, but I have systematically bough adapters for R8, MT2, MT3, 1-1/8"-8 (myford nose) and I could not be happier. They are COLLETS and grab small diameter stuff fiercely. Not like a 3 jaw, even a good one. Cutters never slip, work never slips. Get a set, you won't regret it.
Gordon French
Roseburg, Oregon
Are the M25 chucks for "tiny" micro lathes? Should I get something different, larger, for my larger 12x36 lathe using the mill/drill feature?
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

LX Kid wrote:
Are the M25 chucks for "tiny" micro lathes? Should I get something different, larger, for my larger 12x36 lathe using the mill/drill feature?
That's something you have to figure out, as it's dependent on the work you do, and the size of tooling you use, or plan on using.
ER25 goes up to 5/8", I believe, so if that covers your needs.....go for it.

I bought an ER40 set, which goes up to 1", but when I bought the set, I knew that I wanted to be able to use it in the tailstock with a 7/8" end mill...something I still do often. (My lathe is a 13x40) I also bought a R8 holder, and can use the same collets in my knee mill.
Like Gordon said....very handy, and a lot more grip than a 3 jaw chuck of any kind.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

warmstrong1955 wrote:
LX Kid wrote:
That's something you have to figure out, as it's dependent on the work you do, and the size of tooling you use, or plan on using.
ER25 goes up to 5/8", I believe, so if that covers your needs.....go for it.
Bill
If ER25 only goes up to 5/8" I would think that would be too small for general future work. I have no plans or use, at the moment, but seems I would like something that would handle at least 3/4" should I need. This is where I don't want to spend the money twice when I should have bought something that handles larger.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

So....you need to do a little lookin'.
ER32's go up to 3/4", ER40's to 1".
You need to look at the size of the holder, to be sure it's not going to cause you problems, mainly....the OD of the nut.

Bill
LX Kid

Post by LX Kid »

I think I'll wait awhile before buying ER-32's because more than likely I'll use my stand alone mill/drill that uses R8 tooling. Don't know if I'll like using the milling/drilling function of the 3-In-One. I'm still considering just removing the mill/drill portion off so I can just use the lathe as a stand alone and not have the upper in the way. In it's present location I don't have the room to swing the mill/drill back towards the wall.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

LX Kid wrote:I think I'll wait awhile before buying ER-32's because more than likely I'll use my stand alone mill/drill that uses R8 tooling. Don't know if I'll like using the milling/drilling function of the 3-In-One. I'm still considering just removing the mill/drill portion off so I can just use the lathe as a stand alone and not have the upper in the way. In it's present location I don't have the room to swing the mill/drill back towards the wall.
You can do like many of us, and get two chucks. I bought my ER40 set that came with an MT3 chuck, and picked up a R8 chuck on fleaBay for about 25 bucks.

Bill
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

There are ER-40 collet chucks that mount to a backplate, so you can get the advantage of passing stock thru the spindle. If you use an MT3 shank chuck, you will lose that ability.

Steve